How do I resolve duplicate users when importing JIRA users into Crowd?

daviderickson November 9, 2011

I just completed a Crowd + JIRA integration for our website, I imported all the users from JIRA into Crowd using the guide at (http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Importing+Users+from+Atlassian+JIRA), the import went fine, however now I have duplicate users in my Crowd directory and JIRA's internal directory. This caused a major problem today when I removed a group from a user using Crowd, which JIRA confirmed, however if from JIRA I searched for members of this group it would show the user in JIRA's internal directory still being assigned to the group, and when I tried to remove the group from this user it did nothing.

I figured at this point I would delete the internal user to solve the problem, but then I had to deal with re-assigning old issues assigned to this user, and ultimately I had to delete the user from both directories to solve the problem. This is a *major* headache, is there some easy way to transfer ALL issues from duplicate users to the Crowd directory user, and then delete all of them?

2 answers

0 votes
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2014

Hi guys,

If you have duplicated users, what happens if you put Crowd Directory in the first place in the User Diretcory order?

You could test it with a single user.

Let's say that you have john on both Jira and Crowd.

1) Put Crowd at the top on the Directories list;

2) Disable the user john (from internal);

3) Check if he's still able to login as expected authenticating on Crowd;

Here is the a documentation about migrating users between directories that might help:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+Users+between+User+Directories#MigratingUsersbetweenUserDirectories-MigratingUsersbyChangingtheDirectoryOrder

0 votes
Joan Roth June 18, 2014

I have a similar problem. We have Confluence and JIRA users imported using an active directory connection, but we have several users who were manually added. These duplicates have history. Is there a quick way to move history from one user to another prior to deleting the duplicate user?

jamie rosenfield August 9, 2016

i'm curious how to answer this as well?!

Suggest an answer