How do I release Sub-Tasks from an active Kanban Board?

Nino Russo Londoño June 14, 2022

Hi, 

I understand that we cannot edit the version of a Sub-Task.

My situation is that I have a Sub-Task that has status 'Done' and the parent issue is also status 'Done'. However, the parent issue is no longer visible in the board as its version has been released but the Sub-Task is still visible. 

With the above situation, how can I release the Sub-Task OR remove the specific issue from the board? 

Side note - I DO want to keep seeing Sub-Tasks in my board. So removing them from my board view is not an option. 

Thanks in advance for the help! 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

That doesn't sound right to me, the sub-task should be (effectively) inheriting the version from the parent issue.  

Could you give us the filter and sub-filter for the board?  Obscure your data if you feel like it, we're only interested in the Jira parts of the filter. 

For example, Project = "the shopping" or label in (cat, dog, bunny) or assignee = nic

could be: Project = "ABC" or label in (D,E,F) or assignee = XYZ

Nino Russo Londoño June 14, 2022

Hi Nic! 

Thanks for replying so quickly. 

Indeed that is the interaction that I would be expecting. Is there any other reason why a sub-task would still be visible in the board (kanban)? 

Our current filters are below:

Kanban board filter - project = X ORDER BY Rank ASC

Quick filters = assignee = currentUser() | updatedDate >= -1d

Let me know if those are the filters you were looking for or I should try find others. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2022

The quick filter's do not matter here. It is the "sub fitter" on the general board config, below the board fitter we need to check

Nino Russo Londoño June 15, 2022

ah! I see it now. It is: fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY

From my understanding that would mean if the parent issue has no version it would show right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2022

Yes, that's correct.

Your filters look absolutely fine to me, they're not the source of your problem.

I think we need a look at the sub-task itself.  I'd like to see the structural stuff - status, resolution, breadcrumbs, issue type, dates, if the versions fields appear on it at all, but not the content of the summary or any other text or user field (just need to know if they are filled), so if you're going to screenshot it, feel free to scribble over any names or text that you don't want to share with the world.

Nino Russo Londoño June 15, 2022

Screenshot attached. 

Both the Parent issue and the linked issue are in 'Done' Status. This Sub-Task is in 'Closed' status. 

Both Parent and Linked issue have fixed versions that have been already released. 

Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 14.23.29.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2022

Ok, so there's nothing wrong there, except that the fix version is not on screen.

You should be able to add it, and then set it to match the parent issue, then the board filter will kick in.  (Not sure why it's not directly inherited, but get the setup fixed first)

Like Nino Russo Londoño likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events