How do I properly implement custom fields for service desk request types?

I want to create custom request types for the service desk so that user's have to answer specific questions when submitting a request. I understand the process of creating custom fields, but I've run into an obstacle. Custom fields must be included in a specific screen and issue type in order to be usable. 

I believe I'm approaching this wrong, or perhaps I'm misunderstanding the functionality of service desk. I may have custom fields that I only want to be available in a specific request type. If I add it to an issue type, it then is shown in all other request types that use that issue type. I don't want this. Should I create issue types for my custom request types so the custom fields don't show up for other issues?

Much appreciated,

1 answer

1 accepted

Hey there,

The logic is this: Custom Fields belong to a screen. This screen belongs to a Screen scheme which belongs to an Issue Type Screen Scheme. 

So, yes you need to create new Issue Type for the request type you want, because only an Issue Type can hold a specific screen scheme which will contains the fields you want. 

Hope I helped, 

BR, Athina

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Sunday in Agility

You asked for it, so we delivered: images on issues have arrived

A picture tells a thousand words. And agility boards have just released their latest feature: cover images on issues – so now your board can tell a story at first glance. Upload attachmen...

413 views 3 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you