How do I find dependency of issues across sprint?

Tay March 15, 2019

Currently I tag cases using "is blocked by" for issues with dependencies. Some of those cases are worked on different sprints. I would like to find a way to view and make sure cases that are blocking others should be arranged in earlier sprint first. 

How can I do that? I coudlnt seems like tag a date to future sprints. 

I found a few plugin to view dependencies but looks like they are all for server option. 

Or at least I can view the sprints of both linked cases side by side so that I can compare. 

Using SriptRunner, "issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("project = EW AND status in ("In Progress", "To Do") ", "blocks")" I can view dependencies, but it shows only sprint of the cases that are blocking. I cant show another sprint so that I can check. 

Jira portfolio seems possible. But I have no idea how the scheduled end, and schedule start are calculated. 

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2019

Hello Tay,

I hope you had a nice week!

I understand that you would like to have an easy way to see all the Issue that are blocking others and ensure it is in the early Sprint. Is it correct?

I believe you can use a Quick filter on your project board with a Scriptrunner query to return this kind of information. Here are the steps:

- Navigate to your Project Board > Board Settings > Quick Filters > Create the following filter:

issuefunction in hasLinkType("blocks")

- Navigate to the backlog of your board and use the quick filter to display all issues that are blocking another across all Sprints and in the backlog.

Let us know if this option helps you. Have a nice weekend!

Tay March 15, 2019

Thanks for your prompt reply. 

I tried to add the filter as Quick Filters as you mentioned above, but it's showing an error "Field 'issueFunction' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it. " 

I think I have installed Scriptrunner already and already able to run query like , "issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("project = EW AND status in ("In Progress", "To Do") ", "blocks")" in ScriptRunner Enhanced Search. 

I tried to search around and found this

"JQL Functions provided by ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud only work on the Enhanced Search page, it is not possible to use them in Jira's own issue search page. However, you can create and share filters from the Enhanced Search page so that you can use JQL Functions in queries that power Agile boards etc."

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/I-cannot-run-issueFunction-in-JQL/qaq-p/3899

I am using Jira Cloud, does this apply to me? 

Then I tried to share filters from Enhanced Search page above as he suggested. I created and save the filter. 

But now, how do I use that Enhanced Search filter from Jira Board? 

Thanks 

Tay March 15, 2019

Screenshot 2019-03-16 at 9.01.00 AM.pngAnd I also tried JIRA portfolio, Dependency Report. It shows the the scheduled start and end date of depending case as below. But I am not sure how does the date set. I didnt set it specifically for each case. I just assign them to sprint. Then just want to see which sprint they are in and warn me if there's a case being depended are assigned to sprint later. 

Suggest an answer