How do I expose the date an issues moved to each status?

I need to show how long issues are worked within a few projects. I created a filter that shows all data needed except when the developer began work on an issue. I only need expose the date the status became 'In Progress' for each issue. The Resolved date was available in the Columns dropdown. The created date does not give the actual start date. 

Any help is appreciated!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

I think one of the reporting weaknesses in JIRA is that there's really nothing that can tell you about the date/times of status changes.  The information is recorded in the data that is the issue history, and you can see it in there for any individual issue, but there's nothing that reports on it for a collection of issues.

On server JIRA, I'd add the Script Runner add-on and then use it to create a simple custom field that shows the date/time of the transition I was interested in.  You can do something similar with a date/time field on Cloud that the Scripr Runner for Cloud can populate (it's not the same as a Server scripted field, but it will do the job)

Thanks Nic. I was hoping I was missing something obvious. Our department moved to JIRA on my recommendation but apparently I overlooked this crucial aspect. Everything else has been so intuitive that I thought I must be overlooking something. I will look into Script Runner for Cloud.

0 vote
Steven Behnke Community Champion Jan 01, 2017

At a basic level this is inconsequential. However, every time a customer has come to me with this use-case they've presented unique needs that didn't align with other customer needs. I think this is a challenging use-case because it doesn't work well out-of-the-box. A basic implementation uses logic and out-of-the-box custom fields. Let's work this out here on Answers.

Before continuing, let's dissect the behavior of the system fields. 

1. Created is a Date/Time Field set upon the original creation of the issue. It is never cleared.
  2. Resolved is a Date/Time Field set when the issue has a Resolution applied to it, typically on transitions leading to Completed (green) statuses. It is cleared when the Resolution field is cleared.

Now, we have several transitions or actions that we need to record time-of-action for – 

image2017-1-1 14:48:56.png

• Create (Already handled by the Created system field)
  • Start progress
  • Stop progress
  • Done (Already handled by the Resolved system field.)
  • Reopen
  • Reopen and start progress

We can capture this data in Date/Time Custom Fields, so we might want to create all the fields we need to for a given workflow.

• Work Started
  • Work Stopped
  • Reopened

Using a transition post-function such as Update Issue Custom Field, we can set the date/time fields to "current time" when a transition is committed. 

• Start progress
    • Update Issue Custom Field – 
      Work Started
      = %%CURRENT_DATETIME%%
  • Stop progress
      Work Stopped
      = %%CURRENT_DATETIME%%
  • Reopen
      Reopened
      = %%CURRENT_DATETIME%%
  • Reopen and start progress
      Reopened
      = %%CURRENT_DATETIME%%
      Work Started
      = %%CURRENT_DATETIME%%

The raw dates are available for query and are reportable. Visually our data is in a format like so –

image2017-1-1 15:3:40.pngimage2017-1-1 15:6:35.png

Lackluster? Sure! But I think it get's the job done remarkably easily. This might be more efficient to implement as a listener, for ScriptRunner customers.

Hi Steven - I am trying to implement your answer and getting stuck between creating the custom fields and making them available as a Update Issue Custom Field selection in the Issue Field: dropdown. I am very new to JIRA and still sorting out the whole screen/scheme associations.Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 12.25.03 PM.png

That post-function only sets system fields, you need to use the "update custom field" post-function Steven mentions.

I only see Update Issue Field as an option.

Ah, you'll need to make sure you have the add-on that provides it enabled in your my.Atlassian account for your Cloud system.

It seems all the add-ons are for server only.

Steven Behnke Community Champion Jan 02, 2017

I'm sorry, I hadn't considered that. 

That post-function is provided by the JIRA Suite Utilities add-on, which as far as I know is still pre-installed and provided free-of-charge to JIRA Cloud customers.

image2017-1-2 11:18:38.png

Can you navigate to Manage Add-ons and check to see if JIRA Suite Utilities is activated? It may be deactivated and you may need to contact Atlassian Support to enable that add-on for the Update Issue Custom Field post-function.

Yes, I see JIRA Suite Utilities, but it is grayed out. I am contacting support now.

JIRA Suite Utilities was activated and now I have been able to follow the instructions and create the necessary reporting. Brilliant! Thanks for the help Steven!

Steven Behnke Community Champion Jan 02, 2017

Excellent, I am glad that this process works well for you. smile Good luck and happy new year!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,316 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot