How do I enable rank field for Backlog items list

Supriya September 25, 2019

I would like to display 1,2,3.etc next to my backlog items depending on the order I move them. 

I tried following below article but I did not see rank or global rank field in there.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/enabling-ranking-764477994.html

How can I do this?

1 answer

1 vote
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2019

Hi @Supriya 

Rank is not a number field in Jira. It is in fact not human readable field even if you expose it.

Rank is changed and saved in background when you drag the issue/card up and down.

Any specific reason why you want to display 1, 2, 3,..?

Ravi

Supriya September 25, 2019

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_  We moved to JIRA from TFS and developers and PO requested if there is a way for them to see the numbers. For easy readability.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2019

You can put the rank field on screen and see the content, but as @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_  says, it is not a number and it's meaningless to humans because it has no context, so it will not give you "easy readability"

The only way to get a good, easily readable and understandable view of a ranking is to do it in context.  Run a search for all the issues you are interested in, and use "order by rank" as the sort order.  The point of the rank is to show you where an issue is relative to the others.  "number 2324 on the global list" tells you nothing, you want to know what the ones above and/or below it.

Suggest an answer