How do I download my Jira backup?

William Harding December 9, 2011

I am attempting to move from an enterprise hosted install of Jira to the new on demand Jira. The first step in the import process is to upload our Jira data to the root directory of our new instance using Webdev.

My problem is that, while I can get our existing instance of Jira to back up its file, I can not download the damn thing. When I enter the name of my backup file, Jira tells me:

File /opt/j2ee/domains/onjira.com/instance/webapps/atlassian-jira/data/current/backups/backup.xml has been saved.

Googling for answers, I found a handy forum thread (http://forums.atlassian.com/message.jspa?messageID=257325448) that suggested I could deduce a download address from our instance's paths, but I have tried all possible permutations of our Jira address and that file path, and everythins is 404.

I must not be the first person who has wanted to download their data from a hosted Jira instance? Anyone got clues on how I can get at this file?

1 answer

1 vote
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2011

email support and they will make the backup available to you.

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2011

That's right, if you have an onjira.com or onconfluence.com instance and need to download a backup from there, submit a support request after you perform the backup and we will make it available for you to download.

Ben January 1, 2012

Please automate this if possible. It is a pain to have to email support every time we want a backup.

Ben January 2, 2012

Wonderful! Thanks.

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2012

We are working on a backup manager to automate this: https://studio.atlassian.com/browse/JST-5677

Suggest an answer