How do I delete a user?

BlueA March 13, 2014

I need to delete a user that has comments. When I try and delete I get the following error:
I already went in and reassigned all of the issues that were assigned to him. Do I need to delete their comments too?

Is there an easier way?

JIRA

• Cannot delete user 'Mike' because 13 issues are currently assigned to this person.
  • Cannot delete user 'Mike' because they have made 17 comments.

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2014

I am afraid you will have to either fix the comment author in database or just make the user inactive.

It is recommended to make the user inactive instead of deleting it because you lose history when you reassign issues or change authors in database. Once a user is inactive, he won't be counted against the license.

BlueA March 13, 2014

OK you mean by removing this user from the group will make him inactive?
Seems like the user management interfaced has changed recently if i am not mistaken....

Scott Hung March 13, 2014

I used to remove users from jira-users group as I read (somewhere) JIRA maintained its license count based on that group. Based on a coworker's research we now make the user inactive to recoup the license. I agree that making someone inactive seems new as we just upgraded from JIRA 5.2.10 to 6.x.

Suggest an answer