How do I delete a project?

David Parks January 31, 2012

I just want to delete a test project, but I can't find a 'Delete' button anywhere in administration (nor in the documentation).

7 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2012

Hi David ,

For deleting a project you need to first signin as an administrator , when you view the projects there is an operation to delete the project .

I am in the administrators group. But when I go to "My name"->Administration->Projects, I see all the projects, but only an "Edit" link next to it.

This is onDemand, not the downloaded version, so my screen looks just slightly different from yours.

Well, I just found the weirdest way to solve this issue. If I go to the projects section mentioned above there's no delete option for me, but if I go to the administration section->Issues Tab->Projects, there's a 'Go to general projects list', which takes me right back to the same place I was before, but this time there's a delete option.

Weird, buggy, but I got the delete option to show up.

Alaster Spiers August 11, 2015

I'm in the same bog. I'm utterly confused.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2015

There is no issue here, it's hard to tell what is wrong when you're not explaining what you are doing (or rather where you are looking) 1. log in as an administrator, 2. go to the list of projects (not the project list everyone sees on the project drop-down, but the admin -> projects list) 3. Click delete on the right Or 1. Log in as an administrator 2. Go to the project to delete 3. Click administration 4. Select delete from the "actions" on the right

Pyrrha Aita September 26, 2015

THANK YOU. I had no idea there were two different places to select projects, one of which is out of view. It's an extremely unintuitive interface.

David Alperovich May 20, 2018

I'm admin and under Administration, there is no project list option.

None None June 24, 2019

The Delete Project option is on the left.

1 vote
Darrell Barr March 25, 2020

I had the same frustrating problem, see my attachment...

delete proj.png 

1 vote
David Goldstein July 25, 2018

Can someone supply screen shots to help me navigate to the delete projects button!

Huey Ly August 2, 2019

As of Aug 2, 2019

On the Project Settings page: the 3 little dots in the upper right corner has only ONE menu item that appears after you click on it:  Delete Project.

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 10.40.04 PM.png

1 vote
David Parks February 1, 2012

The reason I couldn't delete ended up being that I had removed access to one application that was enabled when I created the project. When I added that application to my account again I was then able to delete successfully.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2012

There's two layers of Jira administrators - I think of them as "root" and "day to day admin". Root can do things like destroy the attachments and indices, mess up mail servers and so-on - system level stuff. I don't think OnDemand users get that level of access (which is sensible, because you can trash your entire install!).

Day-to-day admins are "Jira Administrators" as you've seen above. They should be able to delete projects, so make sure you're in there (although, to see that page, I suspect you have to be in the group in the first place!)

The delete button should be on the project's admin page - where you set all the schemes.

I'm owner of the organization, so I should be the right kind of Admin. There is no project list.

David Goldstein July 25, 2018

I found the button by going to a Project then choosing Project Settings. I get a Details page with the Delete button on the upper right.

0 votes

Interesting, I checked that page, but there's no such thing as "Jira System Administrators' for me:

JIRA Permissions

<th>Permissions</th><th>Users / Groups</th>
JIRA Administrators
Ability to perform most administration functions (excluding Import & Export, SMTP Configuration, etc.).
Note: People with this permission can always log in to JIRA.
JIRA Users
Ability to log in to JIRA. They are a 'user'. Any new users created will automatically join these groups, unless those groups have JIRA System Administrators or JIRA Administrators permissions.
Note: All users need this permission to log in to JIRA, even if they have other permissions.
Etc...

this version of Jira is even worse than the standard unintuitive old version we became familiar with. The assumptions that Atlassian developers make baffle me.

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2012

Hi David ,

May be you need to be a jira system administrator to do that , the jira administrator in on demand has some less permisions than the jira system administrator .. http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA000/Managing+Global+Permissions#ManagingGlobalPermissions-sysadmin

Yes, even though I am account owner, I didn't have the right permisions by default and after I all Admin groups, the options still weren't available until much later (at random -- no logging back in or anything that would explain it).

No wonder everybody has problems. The system is set up by default for account owners not to have the right settings. 

Suggest an answer