How do I change the max limit export in Jira?

Brianna Barnes November 20, 2018

I'm trying to connect Power Bi to our Jira instance and it's only ever importing a fraction of our data.

It's 100 rows exactly, which says to me it's a configuration somewhere? Maybe?

I'm looking to see what I can do to solve this? Or up that max limit?

1 answer

3 votes
KellyW
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2018

Hi Brianna,

By default both JIRA issue navigator and REST API return a maximum of 1000 search results. The maximum allowable value is dictated by the JIRA property 'jira.search.view.default.max' which is set to 1000 by default. This is an intentional limitation on JIRA applications to avoid performance-related issues such as an OutOfMemoryException.

JIRA can be configured to increase the limit or bypass it altogether.

Here is a brief explanation of each configuration property:

• jira.search.views.default.max - This is the maximum value of issues exported by default when exporting/requesting a search result.
  • jira.search.views.max.limit - This defines the maximum limit for all users, regardless of modifications on the referred URL.
  • jira.search.views.max.unlimited.group - This property sets up a group that will be able to request an unlimited number of issues on a search result. 

You can use these configuration properties to override the default behavior. This is done by editing a file in your JIRA Home Directory, "jira-config.properties".

1. First, if the jira-config.properties file does not exist in your JIRA Home Directory then create it.
  2. Add the override properties to the config file. Example: 
    jira.search.views.default.max=1500 
    jira.search.views.max.limit=2000 
    jira.search.views.max.unlimited.group=jira-administrators
    1. Restart JIRA.
      The example configuration increases the default result limit to 1500 issues. Users can modify URLs to export up to 2000 records. Members of the jira{{-administrators}} group can modify URLs to export an unlimited number of records

To bypass the default and export more records:

1. Perform your search in the UI
    2. Copy the URL of the format link you choose in the Export menu:
    3. Paste this URL into the URL bar of a new browser tab.
    4. Change the tempMax parameter to the number of issues you want (up to the max limit). Members of the unlimited group can remove this parameter to export the entire result set. 
    5. Click return or go from the URL bar to download the exported results.

Regards,
Kelly

Mathieu Brethes November 17, 2020

How can I change this parameter in the Cloud version?

Like # people like this
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

This should not be tagged for "cloud" at all.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer