How do I change the color of my letter avatar?

Chris July 26, 2020

Currently, my letter avatar is purple with a white C on it.

I would like to change it to a different color to make it easier to distinguish me from my fellow purple teammates.

How do I do that?

4 answers

2 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2020

Hello @Chris,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

The color for avatars is chosen based on an algorithm and it's not possible to change that. There was a feature suggesting that, but it was closed since it's possible to upload your own avatar.

Many thanks for this Suggestion, however this is not something we plan to add to JIRA Agile at this time.

The colour is chosen based on an algorithm using the name, unfortunately in this case the same result is occurring. It may be that this is remedied in the future if the colour palette is extended but we will not be changing this automatic avatar type to have a manual override.

As a workaround, you can generate your own avatar with your initials.

I found the websites below where you can create the avatar and choose the color you prefer: 

Example: https://ui-avatars.com/api/?background=0D8ABC&color=fff&name=Angelica+Luz

Result:

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 14.22.38.png

Example:

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 14.25.19.png

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Chris August 1, 2020

Yes, this helps!

The second website generates avatars that are very similar to the ones from Jira, unfortunately it is a CSS generation that can't be saved as an image.

But maybe I can customize the first one, or google other external tools. Thank you!

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Chris August 1, 2020

In case anyone else wants to change their avatar, it seems the default font used for the Jira Avatars is Open Sans Semi Bold :-)

I ended up doing it via Photoshop

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Louis Schoeman January 20, 2021

Is there a real reason for that. Jira falls on so many small details.

For example in this case, half of my team has the same color so on the Gantt its impossible to see right away who's working on what. Why wouldn't you let the user change the background color. 

Like # people like this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2021

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all safe and well!

I came here to say that now it’s possible to change the avatar color and initials directly on your profile.

The steps I mentioned before still can be used in case you need a more customized color. 

To use this new feature, please, access your profile on  https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/profile-and-visibility.

Click on your Avatar > Create initials avatar.

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 15.28.56.png

There are seven different colors and you can use up to four characters.

Screen Recording 2021-10-22 at 03.30.58 PM.gif

Kind regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Dean Capp December 1, 2020

Looks like this basic function is not available

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2020

Hello @Chris ,

Account details like your avatar, email address, and password are managed through your Atlassian account.

https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/view-and-update-your-profile/

TIM截图20200727095030.png

Chris July 26, 2020

I am aware of that page, and it does have the option to upload a new avatar. 

But my question is how can I change the color of the default avatar (Jira seems to create one automatically for a new user using a random colored background and their initials), without uploading anything 🙂

Caroline Wilson January 20, 2021

I am curious that only one of my team was allocated a colour.  If everyone was randomly allocated an initial colour it would make more sense but why just one person out of a team of 6?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events