How do I change the “Read-only Text Field” field to be editable text field in JIRA?

Ganga_Selvarajah April 28, 2013

HI,

I am currently using a “Read-only Text Field” for my project. My team is requesting to change that field to be editable, so that they can able to update that field as required.

<input type="radio" name="fieldType" value="com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:readonlyfield"/>Read-only Text Field

A read-only text label. Only possible to create values programmatically (Used internally for imports from Mantis). Maximum of 255 characters.

How do I change the “Read-only Text Field” field to be editable text field in JIRA?

Field Type: Read-only Text Field

Field Size: Maximum of 255 characters.

Is it possible? If so, could you please provide some instructions.

JIRA Version: 5.2.9

Thanks

Ganga S

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2013

You could also change the field type in the database. Risky though - you can render a Jira system unusable if you do this.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Changing+Custom+Field+Types

Ganga_Selvarajah April 29, 2013

Thanks Nic.

I have done safely to the field type changes in the database. Its resolved my problem..

Ganga S

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2013

I assume this is a built-in custom field and not one that you've written yourself?

I'd look at the script runner plugin. There is a built-in script to copy custom fields. In saying this you'll need a new custom field as custom fields can't change types. You'll need to do a migration of sorts.

Suggest an answer