How do I change a project type?

I have a JIRA Cloud project that was created with "Simple Issue Tracking" and I'd like to switch that to the richer "Software Development" type. How do I accomplish this?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

The "project type" is a template, not a persistent setting.  When you create a project, you select a type and get a project with settings (i.e. "schemes") for that type, but it then has no effect past that.

To change a project from one type to another, just go to project admin and change all the schemes.

Update, for anyone else who lands here, this was an answer for JIRA 6 and below.  In JIRA 7, it's under Project Administration -> Actions -> Change project type

Sorry I'm asking for a more literal step-by-step. The interface is not intuitive and I can't figure out what to change. For example, (1) get to your project admin page (2) click on "Project Template" (3) click on the "pencil" to edit (4) etc etc.

Can you please give me the step by step?

As I said, the project templates only exist for project creation. Once it is created, they have no function, they're just a set of "use these settings when creating the project" To change the "type", you need to work out what schemes you want to use and then change the project to use them. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Project

I understood how to change the schemes but how to change the project type's label in the Browse Projects screen?

Ah, you can't (yet)

In JIRA 7.0.10

Project Administration -> Actions -> Change project type

THIS is what I was searching for! Thanks !

Yes, in 7, you can change the type.  I was talking about 6 in April.

While this sounds very helpful for JIRA 7, I can not find the "Change project type" action on JIRA 7.1.0 for the life of me. I don't know if it moved again or if I am really this incapable... does anyone else see this problem?

EDIT: Ah, I see: I guess I can not yet change it during the evaluation period. My bad, sorry about the confusion. I'll change it as soon as we have the proper license then.

Hi, where can I find the option at JIRA 6.5 ?

There is no JIRA 6.5, but for all versions of 6, please re-read the last paragraph in my original answer

Hello

I cannot change my projects' templates for scrum. They are predefined as agile. I don't know where to find "project administration". I'm on the latest version. Can someone show me the step by step please ?

Thank you

Go into the project and look for the admin/settings cog at the bottom left which leads to project admin.

Thank you ! And do you know if it's possible to customise the number of columns in the backlog ? I cannot add and change their names... is it because it's a scrum template ? (it works if its a agile template)

Thank you again :)

What do you mean by columns?

In the active sprints, after backlog

So not the backlog, but the actual board?

Yes, here. I would like to customise these columns the sprint columns

Same as Kanban - Board config -> Columns

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

216 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you