How do I archive a project in Jira Cloud?

Christoper Lethbridge January 3, 2019

How do I archive a project in Jira Cloud?

10 answers

30 votes
Matthew Keefe November 24, 2020

How is this feature still not implemented? We have a project panel with over 100 project entries, and its simply a mess. Even in Quickbooks Online we can archive projects...

Zane October 20, 2021

Agreed,  this makes Jira Cloud officially a non-scalable solution.  The fact that this is still not developed makes me think I may change my primary delivery product to Salesforce Agile Accelerator.

Like # people like this
Stephanie October 20, 2021

Yes. We have a permissions scheme for "closed" projects, but it isn't the same.

6 votes
Timothy Johnston January 28, 2021

It's a premium feature. And if you move to premium, then back to standard, you can still see the archived projects. But can't archive more projects. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/archive-a-project-1013843066.html

Brooklyn Stanley May 18, 2021

That's so absurd. Looking at the differences between standard and premium, archiving is literally the only feature my company would use, but it's double the price. I hate feeling like the software I'm using is trying to manipulate me into purchasing higher packages than I truly need just to get features that should be standard.

Like # people like this
qbrt July 22, 2021

Archival is a premium feature? Is it due to extra space they require?

Lorenzo De Micheli February 1, 2022

i don't think require extra space, imho, it should cost less, since you could use a colder storage line for them... This is a basic feature that should be in the standard package, it doesn't add any value, it is just removing some noise to the user. And a user which feels disturbed, and has to by Premium his peace, i would say it is not a nice business strategy. 

Like # people like this
qbrt February 1, 2022

Agree. Cleaning up clutter and keeping history just in case (this is a business solution, so many times required to maintain history for audit purposes) is what I was looking for. Things are getting very cluttered and many internal users asking to clean things up and getting annoyed to the point where they are starting to look at other solutions. 

Not my job to go to every project and figure out how to archive properly. So I am not taking on that responsibility for every team that uses JIRA. The teams are not hiring people  or spending more money just to figure this out. So things are getting cluttered. I just want a simple button to archive/unarchive. :)

Ronald Cheng March 30, 2022

Are you implying that I can upgrade to a premium account, archive the Jira projects, then downgrade to back to a standard Jira plan, and still keep the archived projects, as a workaround?

Like # people like this
Thomas Jung May 3, 2022

I just tried that and it worked. 🤦‍♂️

Tasha Raynard June 8, 2022

Also tried the workaround and it worked properly. Upgrade, Archive, Downgrade. Really stupid, but it works.

Nicolas Nath January 6, 2023

I don't have the option to upgrade in Jira work management cloud, only standard and free plans are available ?  Has Jira dealt with the archive issue yet ?  This is very troubling as we have many projects that need to be archived !

4 votes
Deleted user January 3, 2019

Hi @Christoper Lethbridge,

Currently, there is no possibility to archive a project in jira cloud. However, using the permission scheme you can hide the project from the users/group.

Here is the link for configuring a jira permission scheme.

Thanks,

Sravya

james_bailey March 9, 2020

It's a basic feature that needs adding in to cloud. Where is this request at the moment (A year later)?

Thanks

Like # people like this
Jeff December 8, 2020

Sprints from these projects still show up in my other projects. This is ridiculous.

3 votes
Tiago Ferreira December 16, 2019

I would create an archive project and move all the tickets there with the label = project name and delete the old project, so in the future if you want to re-create the project is easy by getting all the tickets with that label.

Matt Bourne February 9, 2020

Nice work around. Crazy that in a product for highly regulated environments there is no way to simply do this .

Like # people like this
2 votes
Melissa Djurslev February 3, 2022

Any news on if this is a feature that will be implemented?  

0 votes
Alex de Lacey February 8, 2023

This is basic functionality that should be added to the core product...

0 votes
Tim Fetner February 3, 2023

The url offering a solution https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/I-can-t-see-option-to-archive-project/qaq-p/1031305 appears now invalid... anyone have the info?

0 votes
Zane February 9, 2022

I wonder if Atlassian does not allow you to Archive projects effectively to force users to approach the storage limits 🤔.  There is an Archive feature on the Server version and is clearly desired by Cloud users!

0 votes
Supreet
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2020

Hi @Christoper Lethbridge

You can refer this documentation to archive a project in Jira Cloud: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/archive-a-project-1013843066.html

Matthew Keefe November 24, 2020

This doesn't work for JIRA Cloud. Archive isn't an option.

Timothy Johnston January 28, 2021

It's weird, because there is a space to view Archived projects. 

I wonder how you get them there.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2019

Hello,

You would need to create a project permission scheme. This permission scheme must not grant any permissions to anyone. In this case the project will be invisible.

You can find more info here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/creating-editing-deleting-and-hiding-projects-844500729.html

Go to Hiding project part.

Gabriella Szeltner February 9, 2022

Hi,

this seems to be a nice a nice solution. However, we would like to hide the project itself from the users, but the logged hours in the project still should be visible. Should add users groups and roles for the following sections:

View All Worklogs

View Issue Hours

Or do you have a better solution for that?

Best regards,

Gabriella

Zane February 9, 2022

Hi Gabriella,

Just add the users or groups you wish to be able to view all worklogs / hours to the permission to view them instead of removing access from everything to achieve this goal.  I have a setup similar to this in our org.

Like Gabriella Szeltner likes this
Gabriella Szeltner February 9, 2022

Hi Zane, 
thank you for your quick response. My only fear is, that if I allow all worklogs for the contributors, than they will be able to see other people's worklogs as well... Is it not the case at your organization?

Thank you  and best regards,

Gabriella

Suggest an answer