How do I add options to a Select List custom field?

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2012

I've created several "Select List" custom fields. However, I don't see anywhere that I can specify the options that should be available in the list.

I'm asked to choose a "Search Template" and I don't know what that is, or how to modify/create one. Is that related to adding options to my Select List custom fields?

7 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2012

See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+a+Custom+Field

Uou can edit the field to select a search template and configure the options as mentioned in the above url.

Lisa Rahder July 19, 2013

Thisnm link define template as "Search Templates are responsible for indexing a custom field as well as making it searchable".

Making the field lseearchable is not the same thing as providing the drop-down options to display for users. Is this option-list-box a part od the template...?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2013

The options you add to the list are used to generate the index, so "making the field searchable" IS the same thing as "providing the drop-down options". Jira can't index the field without the options, and hence cannot search without them either.

You could try to write a searcher that doesn't need them, but I really don't understand why you'd bother.

The searcher you choose to use is selected in the place where you name the field.

0 votes
Balint Nagy August 30, 2016

Yes you can smile

In short: Use a "Project Specific Select Field" instead of a "Project Specific Select Field (simple)".

At first the descriptions got me too: there is a "Project Specific Select Field" and a "Project Specific Select Field (simple)". I have project admin rights, but no JIRA admin rights.

I tried ...simple first, and hit the problem just like you.

Then I tried "Project Specific Select Field", and voila! It asks for option values when you create it.

The misleading information was in field type descriptions. Both say " A select list, where project admins (and not only JIRA admins) can configure the option values...". This seems to be true for "Project Specific Select Field", but false for "Project Specific Select Field (simple)".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2016

Those fields are provided by an add-on.  The answer from Jobin remains correct for all other fields.

0 votes
Elle F July 26, 2013

Lisa

Yes tried the option you proposed and it works where "Renderer" is enable for some non-custom fields. But for others without "Renderer" enabled, I have truly hit a wall.... :(

Thank you very much for your kind assistance. Truly appreciated ^_^.

Lisa Rahder July 28, 2013

Glad it worked part way - take care, Elle.

0 votes
Elle F July 25, 2013

Thank you very, very much for the guidance :) Very easy to follow and set up for a new custom field.

That's 1 part of my issue settled. *yay!*

Now though I am still sadly stuck on how to remove unwanted dropdown selections from non-custom fields..... guess will have to live with it until JIRA come up with a way to fix it.....

Lisa Rahder July 25, 2013

(...lol, np!)

Lisa Rahder July 25, 2013

Elle,

Per your other issue, you probably already tried this, but...

Looks like the "Component" field is type "AutoComplete Renderer" (whatever that means...). And when you click on "Renderers" (in the Administrator-> Issues -> Field Configurations (navigator) list), you can change it from "Autocomplete Renderer" to "Select List" Renderer.

Maybe play around with that, maybe that lets you change the selection list...? Or maybe try changing it out of "Autocomplete Renderer" to just a straight select-list field type..?

Anyhow. Just an idea...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2013

I'm a bit stuck on what you mean here.

As an administrator, you can disable options you don't want any more, or even delete them.

I don't understand why you've wandered off into the renderers. Just disable or delete the ones you don't want any more.

0 votes
Elle F July 23, 2013

Thank you for your comment.

To clarify my understanding of your update :-

a) Project admins can remove/delete options from lists in dropdown lists. Can please advise how this can be done? Would be most helpful as have not been able to locate which section in JIRA controls this.

b) It is not possible to set a predefined/restricted list of dropdown options for system default fields (eg. "Component/s") or for custom fields. JIRA will 'remember' what is keyed in and present the option for future selection.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2013

a) No, that's the opposite of what I said.

Project admins can NOT delete, add, rename, disable or enable options in dropdown lists. Only System/Jira admins can do that.

Project Admins can maintain versions, components and users in their project.

b) This is not a simple answer.

As a), components and versions are maintained project-by-project and can be changed by people with project administration rights.

Assignee and Reporter fields are based on the permissions (which are set by System admins), and the project admins may have some control over them because they can update the users roles in the project (the permission scheme must use roles for this to have any effect)

Priority and Resolution are system fields, defined by the system administrators

Finally, as per a) again, Custom field lists are defined by the system administrators

Lisa Rahder July 23, 2013

Hi, Elle,

This is super easy and not well documented in JIRA. Here's how to do it:

Choose Admin > Issues > Custom Fields (left navigator)

> "Add a Custom Field" button;

> "Select List"

> Click "Next" (lower right on screen)

> Enter "Field Name",

"Description"

Search Template (boy, is this poorly explained! Just select the default and ask your Admin about it later.

"Choose Applicable Issue Types" = your new field will appear ONLY when these issues are selected.

"Choose Applicable Context"

>"Finish".

So the custom field has been craeted. Now you have to set up where it will be displayed

--> Associate Field "fieldname" to screen. Choose the screen where you want your new field to display: I chose "Default".

--> Click "Update"

Now enter the select options, and field postition.

--> Click on tool/widget on right of screen, and select "Configure".

--> "Edit Options" Enter each option and press "Add"

-->Click on "View Field Configurations" in left navigator to postition the field

--> Click on "Default Screen" (i.e., whichever screen you specified for your new field)

--> You will see all fields listed, with your new field at the bottom. Grab it, and pull it to whatever postion you'd prefer.

Notice header "Update Index" message : click on link.

DONE

0 votes
Elle F July 21, 2013

Thank you for comment.

What I am seeking is a way to :-

a) Remove some of the current autocomplete select-list sections previously used by different users, which may now no longer be relevant. This is so that new users are not confused by the selection and select something client no longer wants to use.

Eg. current select-list for field "Component/s" comprises "Option A, "Option B", "Option 12", "Option C", etc. Is there possibility to remove "Option 12" from the autocomplete select-list s?o that it no longer appears in the drop down list?

b) Set a defined select-list of options for field "Component/s" for it to appear in the drop down list.

Eg. "Option A", "Option B", "Option C", "Option D", 'Option D" etc?

Hope the above provides a clearer explanation?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2013

Components are different - your project administrators control the list of options there, it's not just system admins. However, there is no "disable" functionality for components - the project admins have to delete options to remove them from the lists.

There's no real reason to separate "autocomplete" from the "list of options" in your question - either an option is on the valid list and will be offered to the user and autocompleted, or it won't appear.

0 votes
Elle F July 21, 2013

I am a fairly new user to JIRA and have a similiar question.

I have external users who are requesting for specific select-list options in non-custom (eg. JIRA standard) fields which allow auto complete Renderer.

There are existing selections in the select-list options which the external user is requesting to be removed so they can standardise the "drop down list" to specific selections. I've searched throught the JIRA questions and this question comes closest to what I am looking for.

Is there anyway to :-

a) delete options no longer required from the autocomplete renderer drop down list for both custom and non-custom fields?

b) set and allow only a specific list of drop down options for selection in both custom and non-custom fields?

Any help would be most appreciated :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2013

Jira's select lists have a set of options that are created and maintained by the administrators.

The lists the user get, and Jira tries to autocomplete is limited to these options. You may add, delete, rename and disable the options.

I'm not sure what the rest of the question is here - deleted and disabled options will not be offered to the users on create/edit and also can't be autocompleted because they are not valid. (The difference between deleted and disabled is that disabled options stay on existing issues and can still be searched for, just not added to new/edited issues any more)

Suggest an answer