How do I add custom fields to a project list?

Nick Rennie June 23, 2021

I've created a company managed project template for the purpose of managing our roadmap backlog.

It works well to show the commercial side of the business a less technical view of our development roadmap and which key items will be delivered.

However, I have a few issues pending.

I've created a custom field called "Planned Release Date".

Even though it appears in all my issues, and everywhere else, I cannot get the field to appear as a column in the list view.

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 13.22.29.pngScreenshot 2021-06-23 at 13.23.36.png

What am I doing wrong? Ideas? Thanks!

4 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2021

Hi @Nick Rennie

please correct me if I am seeing things wrong, reviewing the thread the circumstances are more of "best guess" but not a guarantee I got everything right. Assuming from your report and screenshots you are using a "Jira Work Management" project.

Further I seem to understand you are trying to add a custom field of type "Date Picker" to the "List" view.

If this is right I am not sure if this will work today, there are several reports in Community this is a feature to come yet (List View is quite new):
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Adding-Custom-Fields-to-the-New-List-View-in-Jira/qaq-p/1648403

There is following information cited:

Found this: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/view-your-work-in-a-list/

Project admins can set up custom fields that can be used in your list view, although only a limited set of custom field types are supported at the moment. You can currently only add single-line text fields, URLs, and user types. Learn more about setting up custom fields.

Could you please double check if this is what you are seeing?
Please also feel free to correct if you see any misunderstanding.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Daniel

Nick Rennie June 28, 2021

Hi Daniel....that could indeed be the issue. However, I might be able to do a bit of a hacky solution and create a duplicate field in single-line text form and then use an automation script to mirror the date.

I'll try it now and let you know. Thank you!

0 votes
Nick Rennie June 24, 2021

Mistake.

0 votes
Prashant Sultania
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2021

Hello @Nick Rennie 

If you are the JIRA admin of the jira instance then go to admin panel --> Issue settings --> Click on Custom Fields --> Search for the custom field 

Check and verify if your project is associate with that custom field or not.
If it is not associate then associate it. 

Also, validate which issue type is associated with that custom field.

Once it is done, associate it with Field Screen

Note: If you are using Data Center then reindex your jira project

Thanks
Prashant Sultania

Note: Upvote, Like or Accept Answer if it resolves your query.

Hi @Prashant Sultania

I've done all the above but I still don't see it in the list column selection:

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 15.18.19.png

How do I re-index as suggested?

Prashant Sultania
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2021

Hello @Nick Rennie 

Also, can you make sure the screens that are associated with the custom field are associated with the jira project too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reindexing option is not available for CLOUD, to perform the re-index please follow the below steps:

You can reindex a single JIRA project, as a JIRA administrator, by:

1. Go to the jira project
  2. Now click on the "Project settings" on the bottom left of the screen.
  3. On the "Project settings" page, Click on the "Re-index project" option from the left-hand side menu.
  4. Click on the "Start project re-index" button to perform the project re-indexing.

I Hope, once the reindexing is completed custom field is available, else you might need to perform Background Reindexing or Full Reindexing. Please refer this KB to know more about the reindexing https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/search-indexing-938847710.html 

Thanks
Prashant Sultania

Note: Upvote, Like or Accept Answer if it resolves your query.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2021

What happens when you type "planned" into the search box for the field selection?

Nothing found. It's really bizarre as all the other fields are there.

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 14.46.09.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2021

Ok, I think that rules out a couple of things, but there's a couple more questions I'm afraid.

Is this search happening when you are trying to add fields to the issue navigator view?  (i.e. go to search, belt something in like "project = X", get a list of results and then go for the "configure fields" bit).  Or is it somewhere else?

Is planned release date properly searchable?  Go to Admin -> Issues -> Custom fields -> find "planned release date" and click "edit" - you should see a screen with the field name, description and "searcher" - what does the "searcher" say?

If you go to the advanced search and type in something like "project = x and plan..." does it offer to try to autocompleted planned-release-date ?   (Also, ignoring the autocomplete, try the exact name in quotes - "Planned Release Date" > now() for example - does it complain about the field name?)

Nick Rennie June 24, 2021

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Thanks for taking the time to help with this.

The field appears to be searchable across all parts of Jira except this list view. The list view is the following to help provide some context:

# Key, is one of the columns in there, and I would like to add "Planned Release Date" as an additional column for our commercial teams.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 10.37.35.png

Regarding the next question, I checked and did not find a "Searcher" option. This is what I see in the edit options: (Is this what's expected?)

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 10.33.09.png

I was also interested in the field lookup in the advanced filter too and have thought maybe the name is causing issues. However, I tried what you suggested and the field came up without any issues whatsoever.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 10.35.58.png

My next guess would be to try changing the field name to something more simple (single word), and see if this works, but I'll start from scratch to be 100% sure.

I'll provide an update when I do, but if in the meantime you have any other suggestions, that would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2021

Ok, so it's working fine in the issue navigator which is what I thought you were looking at, but it's not there.

Could you explain where exactly you are taking the snippet of display from the first image in the comment I'm replying to please?  Because it's partial, I can't work out where it's from.

On the "searcher" thing - sorry, that's my age showing, the field I was looking for was the one you found labelled "search template" rather than "searcher" and it's set to a useful thing in your screenshot, so that's another one ruled out.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events