How can you link source to an issue after a commit has happened (in GIT)?

Is there any way to link a GIT commit to an issue after the commit is already pushed to the remote without having added the issue ID to the commit message?

Notice that a commit that has been pushed to the remote cannot be ammended/editted. I was hoping that adding a comment with the SHA1 of the commit would establish the link between the issue and the commit. Or even if there is a more complex way of doing it. But this is a real need.

A similar question has been posted before (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/5795), but referred to source code in SVN.

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Joe Xie Atlassian Team May 14, 2012

Assuming you are usin the JIRA Fisheye Plugin, the only way to link a commit to a JIRA issue is via the JIRA issue key in the commit message. Unless you are able to amend the message (which seems like you can't/won't), then you are stuck.

Yes, I'm using Fisheye. Has Atlassian considered the possibility of implementing a manual linking of issues and source code in GIT? I think this would be a very good feature.

Thanks

I'd vote for such a feature too.

The lack of this feature means I also cannot correct incorrectly linked changesets.

Can we be linked to a feature request page where I can vote for this?

Inability to arbitrarily link issues to source code severly limits the usefulness of fisheye integration in jira.

The lack of this feature means I also cannot correct incorrectly linked changesets.

Can we be linked to a feature request page where I can vote for this?

Ouch, that's rough. Makes fixing issues impossible and all we need is a simple UI element to do this!

Same problem here!

Instead of fixing this problem, you may want to prevent this using the Commit Policy Plugin:

Edit Commit Policy.png

You can enforce a strict condition to include issue keys matching a JQL query's result. It does work with Git (plus Mercurial and Subversion).

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,169 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot