How can you disable permission to change who the 'Reporter' field is?

Harry Bob
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2019

Hello,

How can you disable permission to change who the 'Reporter' field is?

Also is there a way to track or see who the Reporter was previously if I can't restrict people from changing the Reporter?

3 answers

0 votes
Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2019

Hi,

as said by Ravi, you'll need to set the Modify reporter permission.

This is however a project permission, so you'll have to make changes in the permission schemes .

Each project has a permission scheme which is probably shared over multiple projects.

Please also have a look at project roles , you'll benefit greatly from it when managing your instance in the long run.

Harry Bob
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 8, 2019

Hi Johan,

I did remove all users from the 'Modify Reporter' from the default permissions scheme except the administrators group. 

I would have thought that removing a user/group from this wouldn't allow users to be able to change the reporter on the tickets which is what I want to do.

Unless I am missing something?

Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 8, 2019

Hi,

you'll have to verify which permission scheme is used in the projects where you encounter non admins modifying the reporter.

The default permission scheme might not be used in those projects.

Harry Bob
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2019

I've only got 1 permission scheme. I followed the instructions for this to make sure I've assigned the correct permission scheme to to the correct Project. 

Snip20191211_56.png

But after step 2 I can't seem to see the permissions section or anything on the lower right like the instructions say. 

Snip20191211_57.png

Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2019

Hi,

you'll have to select Project settings in the sidebar where you'll find a section Permissions.

Very useful is always the Summary.

It also seems to be a Jira Service Desk project which will have created its own separate permission scheme.

Harry Bob
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2019

Yeah I've tried that.

I've gone through all the menus on my current project and I don't see a separate permissions menu other than the one for the whole JIRA account

I noticed when I used Permission helper there is a DEMO: Simplified Permission Scheme? Where is that located? I don't see it under my list of Permissions Schemes

Snip20191212_60.pngSnip20191212_61.png

0 votes
Harry Bob
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2019

Thanks for your help Ravi,

Ive removed all groups except the 'Administrators' group from it but the user is still able to edit the Reporter field.

As you can Jay isn't part of the Administrator group. What am I missing that he is still able to change the Reporter field?

Snip20191206_30.png

Snip20191206_29.png

0 votes
Ravi
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2019

HI,

If you want to restrict the users to not to change the reporter update the permissions scheme, there is a permission called "Modify reporter" update it accordingly(Give permissions to the one that can modify). 

If you want to see the previous reporter, you can always use History tab on issue to check who modified and what was changed.

Thanks,

Ravi 

Suggest an answer