How can we create tasks and subtasks that extend into multiple projects?

Joseph Gassmann December 6, 2012

I have a task XXX-100

This task has many subtasks as a part of the project.

A few of the sub-tasks involve tasks to be done in separate projects

So I have Subtask xxx-101, xxx-102, xxx-103

I want to add subtask yyy-200 and zzz-300 (yyy and zzz pertain to separate JIRA projects

I get the error that subtask have to exist within the same project and so I cannot convert those yyy and zzz tickets as subtasks under xxx-100 for tracking and workflow

Technically, the yyy and zzz tasks should not be xxx because they fall under a different areas of responsibilty (eg: xxx is Application Development, yyy is DataWarehous & zzz is Infrastructure)

Can we enable JIRA to allow tickets from separate projects to be subtasks under another project?

2 answers

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2012

Subtasks should be in the same project. You can create another tasks in the different projects and link them together using JIRA's linking feature. Will that help?

You just need a good link name for this I guess!

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2012
Hi Joseph,"

Short Answer: no

Longer Answer: no, but here's how we handle this: we create a subtask on xxx, make a copy of this task, move this copy into yyy and link them. This is not very elegant, but it works more or less.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Thomas

Suggest an answer