How can i make custom field value as linked issue type?

AKASHB July 15, 2013

How can i make custom field value as linked issue type? Can anybody help me out with this?

Its very urgent, as i am using Query Issue Custom Field, So by using this i have to perform some operation using groovy script but i am not able to capture this ticket and perform some transition.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2013

You can't really do this, if I've understood the question. Links are not fields. So there's no sych thing as "custom field value as linked issue type". A link is a logical relationship between two issues which Jira can read and has code to interpret, display, and edit

I'm not sure what context you need to get at the link data in, and that's important for any answer. Could you explain what you are trying to do? What the user would see happen?

AKASHB July 15, 2013

My motive is through i need to perform several operations such as:

There are 2 Issue Types which follow 2 different Workflows : one is open Position and other is say Y, since i have used "Query Issue Custom Field" Plugin, so when i create 1 ticket in Y , on Transition there is 1 field where i need to select tickets from open position, so now this ticket can be seen in Y.

Now my motive is to grab that open poistion ticket and on transition of Y ticket from Status A to Status B , Open Position ticket should also move from status P to status Q.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2013

I'm sorry, I can't follow that middle paragraph in the slightest. Break it up into distinct pieces and it might help?

The last paragraph makes sense though, I think. You want to make an issue go through a transition when a different, but linked, issue goes through a transition. You'll need to find/write/script a post-function to read the current issue, run through all the links to decide if other issues need moving, and trigger their workflow transitions. (I think you'll find that easier as a listener).

AKASHB July 15, 2013

I will break my middle paraghraph:

There is 1 Project say TEST, under that Test Project there are 2 Workflows associated with 2 issue types say workflow 1 is associated with issue type sample1 and other workflow is associated with issue type sample2.

now these 2 issue are linked through using "Query Issue Custom Field Plugin", so tickets in sample 1 is linked with sample2.

Goal: My goal is when i make trnasition from status A-> B with issues of Sample1 tickets associated with it of Sample 2 should also make a trnasition from staus 1 -> Status 2.

Hope so this might clear your doubt.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2013

Ok, I can follow that.

My comment before covers the response though. Apart from the point that the "Query issue custom field plugin" doesn't seem to be at all relevant (and would make any coding harder to do, as you'd have to dig through a load of custom field data instead of simply iterating over the links on the issue)

Suggest an answer