How can i change my jira server URL (http://localhost:8080/) to something else

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2022

Hi Guys,

Need your help in changing my jira site URL, currently it's http://localhost:8080/ it want to change it to http://poweruser.jira.com. How can i change the URL, i tried to update base URL from General Configuratiom, but it doesn't make any change. Only able to access the site using http://localhost:8080/. Please help me in updating the site URL.

Thanks

V.Y

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2022

How are you serving up poweruser.jira.com?  Do you own the domain, or is it hosted for you?

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  I don't own this domain. I only want to change the name URL, it's accessible on Intranet only. Do i need to own the domain first ?

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2022

Ok, so that's a complete non-starter.  You can't run your system on poweruser.jira.com because you don't own it.

You could do it within your network, by poisoning your internal DNS servers, but that's a bad practice because you have to remember to maintain it and it masks potentially valid external sites.

So, start by selecting a good internal url you want to run Jira on.  You can set the base url to that, and then you'll need to talk to your network people about getting it added to the internal DNS so that people land on your Jira.

You will almost certainly want to use a reverse proxy to keep the config and routing as simple as possible.

Like Vikrant Yadav likes this
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  who will provide internal URL, do i need to check with network team for internal URL or ask them to create a new url for JIRA ? 

Once Internal URL is provided, i need to setup Reverse proxy in JIRA (server.xml file) following steps in links shared by @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_  and ask network team as well to add internal URL in DNS ? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2022

I don't know how your infrastructure is set up or who owns it, but yes, it's probably the network team who will know what the rules are for URLs for new services, and can allocate you one, then set it up so your DNS can send people to your proxy.  Your network team may also provide proxies for you.

Like Vikrant Yadav likes this
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2022

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ , let me give it a try. Will message you if i face any issue. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2022

Suggest an answer