How can I quick search for custom fields

Markus Dummermuth October 28, 2016

Hi,

I would like to search in all my issues for a certain Phrase e.g. 129 witch apears in the custom text field "Serial Number" there is a device with the number 150129. What do I have to enter in the quicksearch to find this issue?

Thanks for your Support

regards

Markus

5 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2016

project = xxx AND <custom-field> ~129

Manish Gupta March 19, 2019

Dear Jack,

So what if i want to use only part of the value in my custom field? For instance; lets assume we have a custom field - RELEASE PROJECT ID and the values are based on the days when the release is going to happen. like - WEEK20190303 and next one is WEEK20190310 and so on. 

So how, do we run a query to pull everything where in the value has "WEEK201903*"

So that i dont have to put the value of each week. 

I tried with * at the end it throws only 5 search results where in actually there are 52 such items in my requirement.

Below query gave 52 results

issuetype = story AND fixVersion = ALL2019-WEEKLY AND ("RELEASE PROJECT ID" ~ WEEK20190202 OR "RELEASE PROJECT ID" ~ WEEK20190209 OR "RELEASE PROJECT ID" ~ WEEK20190216 OR "RELEASE PROJECT ID" ~ WEEK20190222)

but the below one here gave only 5

issuetype = story AND fixVersion = ALL2019-WEEKLY AND "RELEASE PROJECT ID" ~ "WEEK201902*"

Can you please advise?

Thanks,

Manish

0 votes
Jeremiah_Wilson September 11, 2019

Hi All, 

I'm wondering because we use Job Numbers and work on a multitude of projects with different job numbers.  We use the Summary for a description of what needs to be done and we use the description for the scope of work, and we have a custom field with a Job Number.  My question is, how does one do a quick search for a custom field (Job Number) instead of using JQL for a static search?

So, if I'm working on job 29106 which is a modification job, and i get a call from someone pertaining to job 29107, how can i search up that number quickly?

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2016

Markus, I think maybe you are using the incorrect search box for this action. See below.

search box.jpg

NOTE: if you are going to do this search frequently I still recommend creating a filter as I mentioned previously and saving it but which way is best depends on whether the search criteria is static or dynamic.

0 votes
Markus Dummermuth October 30, 2016

Hi Jack,

sorry I did not understand your solution.
I try to repeat my question, that we mean the same.

I am searching for a ticket which contains 511 this could be in a comment field in a custom field (like here) or elsewhere.

1. What do I have to enter in the Quicksearch field to find all occurences of 511?
  2. What do I have to enter if I only want to search within the custom field CPID? "CPID ~511" does not work.

Kind regards

Markus 

Quicksearch.jpg

0 votes
Markus Dummermuth October 28, 2016

Hi Jack,

thanks for your answer.

Isn't there an easier way to find all issues which contain 129? The search should only take the custom field also into consideration.

regards

Markus

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2016

Markus, I'm unsure what you mean by easier way. To me that is about as easy as it gets. If you don't want to limit to a specific project then simply use the JQL <custom field> 129. You can get as specific or as ambiguous as you want w/ the text value that follows the "~" symbol.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2016

something went amiss w/ my comment. the JQL should be

<custom field> ~129 

or similar

Suggest an answer