How can I periodically email project reports?

Daniel Pasacrita August 6, 2014

So we've found the reporting in Jira to be really incredible, there's a lot of great stuff we can do with it. What we want to do right now though is find a way to periodcally email a given report to a group of people, and I can't quite find out how to do that.

To be perfectly clear, what we want to do is to have Jira periodically create a report (the ones from the service service desk page or the one from the project page, either one will do) and email the report (maybe an image of it, the stats, or a link, anything) to a group of people. Is there any way to do this without a plugin? If not, are there any plugins you might recommend?

EDIT: Sorry, but neither of these answers are what we're looking for. We don't want to email a list of issues, we want to email a report, the charts and graphs that Jira can create. Is there no way to do that?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2014

A subscription, sent to a specific group, is the way supposed to be used. For this you need a saved filter. In that filter you can select the columns to be displayed and included in the subscription. If you want everyone of the recipients to see all results of the filter, make sure they are allowed to see the projects and all the issues.

The subscribe functionality is a good one. The description of your filter will also be shown in the subscription. There you can for example suggest to visit the project dashboard - if you have one -, were the reports are displayed in charts.

Daniel Pasacrita August 7, 2014

Sorry, but that's not really what we're looking for. What that basically will be is a reminder to every once in a while log into Jira (which many of them don't use and don't have accounts for) and manually create the report and look at it. Needless to say they will find that kind of unacceptable. What we need to do is to email the reports in an already readable format. It seems Jira can't do this out of the box, so I'll have to look for a plugin.

EDIT: I guess this is the best answer, even though it's not what I asked.

So basically the best way to do what I asked would be to create a report using the reporting in the projects page, saving that link, and then setting up some system that will periodically email this link. The reports are dynamic, so you don't need to keep creating the report for it to work - just spread the address around and you're good.

1 vote
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2015

With recent JIRA PDF View Plugin version (3.5.0 or newer) you can export JIRA dashboard to PDF documents!

How does that solve your problem?

1. Create a JIRA dashboard with the report(s) you wanted to be automatically emailed. You can include any number and any type (pie, created vs. reported, two-dimensional counts, etc.) of these reports. You can freely customize the export template, choosing the best layout, showing or hiding the data tables and charts, etc. See this article.
  2. Set up automatic emailing of the dashboard as explained in this tutorial. It can happen periodically (ex: every morning) or at various issue events (ex: when a new critical bug is created in project FOOBAR).

This is a sample export showing three reports with chart and data table (PDF version):

jira-dashboard-exported.png

0 votes
Daniel Pasacrita August 7, 2014

Sorry, but neither of these answers are what we're looking for. We don't want to email a list of issues, we want to email a report, the charts and graphs that Jira can create. Is there no way to do that?

Marcel Nick July 12, 2017

Hi Daniel ,

We have a new JIRA cloud plugin to address Service Desk reporting usecase . 

Kindly check and let us know your feedback !  :)

Cheers

Marcel

0 votes
Abdoulaye Kindy Diallo
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2014

Suggest an answer