How can I make transition of linked issues when Sprint Started Automation for JIRA?

Daniel Bieńkowski January 20, 2021

I have 2 boards:

• Board DEV
  • Board QA

In Board DEV I have issues that are linked to issues in Team QA.

I want to automate that when starting the Sprint in Team DEV, for all issues that have linked issues to Board QA, I want to move them to the appropriate status in Team QA. Is it possible? I am missing one more level of Branch rule / related issues. Is there a workaround for this?

What I'm trying to do:

a1.jpg

But then I get the error:
Can't branch rule as it requires issue(s) in the context for this option. More than likely you have a trigger that doesn't insert issues into the rule chain. e.g. Scheduled rule not running a JQL query. Creating an issue does not put an issue into the context, you have to branch on it directly.

So ok, when I change it to:

a2.jpg

I miss one more Branch rule / related issues to somehow highlight that I want to make action for linked issues in just started Sprint.

Any ideas how I can cover this scenario?

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Chaimungkalanont
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2021

Yeah the only way around this limitation (issue linked at https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1617) is to set some sort of flag (either a field or a status) on the issue that's on the Board A. Then have a different rule that listens of that trigger, which then loops over the related issues. You'll need to set the flag to enable the rule to be triggered from another rule in the 2nd rule

e.g.

Rule 1:

• Trigger on Sprint started
  • Loop over issues in Sprint
  • Transition to: "QA Issues ready" or something

Rule 2: (must have flag to run from other rules on)

• Trigger on: "QA Issues ready"
  • Loop over related QA issues
  • Transition the QA issues to appropriate status
Daniel Bieńkowski January 25, 2021

Thank you so much @Mark Chaimungkalanont !

I have tried it, but with no success, because the rules fire up indeterministically. I didn't know about the existence of this magic "Allow rule trigger" checkbox, which forces to fire the second rule after all the previous ones.
It helped. Case solved. Thank you again!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events