How can I make this SLA restart?

Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2018

Hi all,

I have the SLA shown below. I am using this to run an automation that leaves a comment notifying agents when a customer hasn't heard from us in a week. As you can see I have the SLA start counting when the Customer or Agent comments, however, due to the SLA stopping the same way, they would have to comment twice for the timer to restart. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rework this? 

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 4.45.37 PM.png

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 10, 2018

Hi Cody,

Indeed, when using the same start and stop the SLA may not work as expected because it's not clear when the SLA must start or stop.
As you must use the same condition to start and stop the SLA, the best option, in this case, is to create two SLAs, one for when your team is waiting for the customer's response and other for when the customer is waiting for a response of an agent.
This is the best way to know exactly how many time both customer and agents are waiting.
Then you can create an automation based on this SLAs to send a notification to agents.

Regards,
Angélica

Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2018

Hey @Angélica Luz,

This is an incredible idea and it almost solves the issue. 

The issue I am facing now is when the SLA is already counting. Let's say a customer has commented and the SLA is counting against the agent. When the agent responds, it obviously does not restart the clock. What do you recommend for this?

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 2.26.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-09-10 at 2.27.16 PM.png  

Like Andrew likes this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2018

Hi Cody,

I believe that the best option in this case to restart the clock is to add on Start and Stop the status of the ticket and not based on the comment.
Please, check the example on the documentation below that shows how to create an SLA with multiple cycles:

- Example: creating an SLA with multiple cycles

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Like Deleted user likes this
Richard Cross March 20, 2019

"Start" begins counting again at whatever value the SLA has when you either "Pause" or "Stop".

There is no restart feature.

Like Emily Lukasik likes this
3 votes
Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2018

Hey @Angélica Luz,

I was able to achieve this the following way. 

I created 3 SLA's

• Time since last activity (Customer)
  • Time since last activity (Agent)
  • Time since last activity (Agent2)

I also created 3 automations

• Ticket Reminder Customer
  • Ticket Reminder Agent
  • Ticket Reminder Issue Created

When a customer comments on a ticket, the Agent2 SLA will start. The corresponding automation will wait for 1 week for the SLA to breach. Once it breaches, the automation checks for 1 thing.

1. The current assignee 

Based on the assignee it will add an internal comment notifying the user.

When agent responds to the ticket, it will stop any of the above SLA's from running and start the Customer SLA. The above process will start over again. 

Since I do not have Time to First response on all tickets, I had to create the Time Since Last Activity Agent SLA. This will start when a ticket without a First Response SLA is created. The same process above starts again. 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
September 14, 2018

Hi Cody,

Thank you for sharing this information with us!
I'm glad that you were able to resolve.

If you need anything else, please count on us!

Regards,
Angélica

Emily Lukasik April 24, 2020

Hi  - Not totally following the above.  I am trying to build the same request, but without being dependent on the Customer commenting.  Our agents need to provide an update every xx hours (dependent on severity of the ticket).

Is it possible to build in SLAs and/or Automation so:

• SLA clock that "resets" every time an Agent adds a Comment (For the Customer) throughout the life of the ticket, to track time since last update
  • A supporting automated alert every time that SLA is breached ("You have not provided an update in xx hours; please add an update.")

Thank you!

David_Ott June 10, 2020

Struggling to find the proper format as well.  I have a greatly simplified use case as an example.  Basic 'no response in Xdays, comment to client checking in' that will be used with another which is 'no response in Xdays, close ticket and comment back to client about the action'.  The most basic piece, the check back in... I'm struggling with.

• Status moves to "Waiting for Customer" and the timer starts. (if breaches, automates a check in to customer)
  • If the customer responds, Status moves out of "Waiting for Customer"
  • Support responds, moves to "Waiting for Customer" and here is where I want to restart that SLA clock.
Amit Juneja December 17, 2020

I've got a solution.  It's not super elegant but it will work.

Let's say your example has a Blocker priority and your SLA requires you to respond to the customer every hour until it is resolved.

1) Create a new event that does nothing, name it Reset SLA.  Add this to the notification schemes that contain the projects you need this automation for.

2) Add a new status, Reset SLA, to your workflow that for simplicity sake all can transition to though you can choose to limit this. Make sure it has outgoing transitions to the one (or more) statuses that you want it to come from (In progress, Waiting for support, etc).

3) For all incoming and outgoing transitions to the Reset SLA status, go into the post-function and change the generic event to the Reset SLA event you created earlier.

4) Create an automation that, based on your trigger, will transition the status to Reset SLA and then transition it again back to In Progress.

4) Create the initial step of your SLA goals ie priority = Blocker.

5) Create multiple secondary steps based on your response time ie

"status changed during (now(), -1h) from ("Reset SLA") to ("In Progress")", -2h, -3h, -4h, etc.

6) Make sure time starts in the conditions you want it to.  Make sure "Entered Status: Reset SLA" is in the "Finish counting time when..." condition.

This should now reset your SLA based on your trigger event (comment, status change, etc) by moving it to Reset SLA which will stop the clock. Then the automation will bring it back to In Progress thus restarting the SLA from the beginning.

The event/transition steps are so that no notification emails regarding status changes are sent when this automation occurs.

1 vote
Jacob from Canada June 2, 2020

+1

Suggest an answer