How can I make a custom calculated field for number of days since created date.

Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2018

I wanted to create a custom field that will calculate the number of days outstanding since the issue/bug was created. And if possible, excluding the weekends and holidays. This is important in our company as we check the turnaround time of the issue/bug closure time with the standard level of agreement (SLA).

2 answers

0 votes
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2018

You can use Enhancer Plugin for Jira

It has a couple of Time custom fields.

• Time Between custom field calculates time between two status, and display the result according to the selected calendar. However, it only displays value when the issue arrives to final status
  • Time Tracker custom field can calculate time like Time Between, but it does not wait for final status. Also it can sum time in subtasks as well.

Best

Faisal Shamim May 26, 2020

How can I do this in JSD @Alex Christensen  , I am using JSD cloud and want to know if its possible to do some calculation on custom field ? Thanks in advance 

Like jose likes this
Pronto Software November 12, 2020

Hi @Faisal Shamim

I can't see any special JSD Custom Field types that include calculation capability.

As far as I can work out the JSD built-in capability could be achieved with Project Automation. Note: the calculation would occur after the customer creates the request.

There are a number of add-on apps that provide this capability, we use Jira Misc Workflow Extensions and Extensions for JSD.

Good luck,

Peter Q

0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2018

If you aren't using Jira Service Desk, this is something built-in in JSD, so if that's a possible option for you to evaluate, I'd definitely consider it. More details about Service Desk here.

Other than Jira Service Desk, there's no way to do this by default. You will need an add-on to achieve this. Some suggestions I have if you're on Jira Server (I don't know any for Jira Cloud off the top of my head):

• Jira Misc Custom Fields introduces a Calculated Number or Text Field type. You can write some code to return what you need.
  • ScriptRunner allows you to create scripted fields, so you could create a script that returns what you need, as well.
Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2018

I guess I'll have to do extract to excel for now, and add a formula to calculate the elapsed time. :-(

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2020

@Zaldy Parian  if the Excel route is an option for you, then check out this article (it saves you manually creating the formula every time). 

This example has 2 fields in the right that calculate the duration between 2 events, so you can use this as inspiration:

jira-issues-with-custom-calculated-fields

Like Elena Vikhareva likes this
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2020
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2020

Oh, it seems you are right 😕

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2020

Yeah, I also noticed those guidelines very late :) 

Suggest an answer