How can I make a comment required on transition in customer portal?

I have configured a workflow and made one transition available in the customer portal. The transition has a screen attached which shows the comment. When I trigger the transition in the customer portal, a screen with the comment field appears, but the comment is optional. How can I make it required?

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Jack Brickey Community Champion Oct 28, 2016

Thomas, I don't believe that is possible. However, and I haven't done this personally but you could add a new custom text field and make it required as part of the transition in the workflow. Not sure that works for you.

Thanks! At least I have certainty now and know a workaround.

certainty

Joe Pitt Community Champion Oct 28, 2016

The extra field is better anyway. If you want to require it you may want to display it or search on it and a separate field makes it searchable and displayable

Jack Brickey Community Champion Oct 28, 2016

agree completely Joe!

@Thomas Lindenhofer - were you able to make comments required in the customer view? We are running into the same issue and need to make the comments field required on a transition. If you were successful, may I ask how you accomplished this?

I'm sorry, I have no solution for required comments in customer portal. Currently we rely on our customers. 

Bummer! Thank you for the update. I've suggested training our customers as a solution. 

Hello @Jack Brickeyand @Joe Pitt,

how can I add a custom field required as part of the transition in the customer portal? That is something I am trying right now and do not get it to work.

I added a checkbox to the transition screen but only my agents are able to see the custom field. Although my customers are able to see and execute the transition they just have the ability to write a comment.

I have opened another question on my problem with additional screenshots:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/Screen-with-custom-field-not-appearing-in-customer-portal/qaq-p/664271

I would appreciate it, if you could have a look at it!
Thank you!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

564 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you