How can I make a comment required on transition in customer portal?

TLI October 28, 2016

I have configured a workflow and made one transition available in the customer portal. The transition has a screen attached which shows the comment. When I trigger the transition in the customer portal, a screen with the comment field appears, but the comment is optional. How can I make it required?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2016

Thomas, I don't believe that is possible. However, and I haven't done this personally but you could add a new custom text field and make it required as part of the transition in the workflow. Not sure that works for you.

TLI October 28, 2016

Thanks! At least I have certainty now and know a workaround.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2016

The extra field is better anyway. If you want to require it you may want to display it or search on it and a separate field makes it searchable and displayable

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2016

agree completely Joe!

Jan Terry September 22, 2017

@Thomas Lindenhofer - were you able to make comments required in the customer view? We are running into the same issue and need to make the comments field required on a transition. If you were successful, may I ask how you accomplished this?

poppitz81 September 22, 2017

I'm sorry, I have no solution for required comments in customer portal. Currently we rely on our customers. 

Jan Terry September 22, 2017

Bummer! Thank you for the update. I've suggested training our customers as a solution. 

H K
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2017

Hello @Jack Brickeyand @Joe Pitt,

how can I add a custom field required as part of the transition in the customer portal? That is something I am trying right now and do not get it to work.

I added a checkbox to the transition screen but only my agents are able to see the custom field. Although my customers are able to see and execute the transition they just have the ability to write a comment.

I have opened another question on my problem with additional screenshots:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/Screen-with-custom-field-not-appearing-in-customer-portal/qaq-p/664271

I would appreciate it, if you could have a look at it!
Thank you!

0 votes
Matteo Pacenti February 16, 2021

Hello,

i think you need to use the Validator that upon transaction that field must be updated, and obv use a screen with a comment field.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2021

but validators do not work for transitions executed via portal.

Like Matteo Pacenti likes this

Suggest an answer