How can I let JIRA automatically create predefined sub-tasks after some end user raise a ticket in specific issue type and/or a component?

Arnold Chang March 20, 2013

How can I let JIRA automatically create predefined sub-tasks after some end user raise a ticket in specific issue type and/or a component?

If it couldn't work in JIRA OnDemand, does it work in JIRA Enterprise and how?

Thanks.

4 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2013

Not for OnDemand, but for download: How to create subtasks on initial issue create

you replied at light speed. :-) let me take a look.

thx a lot for the useful comment

Hi Bob,

I failed to find step 5 Add Create sub-task on transition post function
in JIRA On-Premise 5.2.8 as the URL. Any ideas?

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2013

It is a post function that ships with Create on Transition Plugin for JIRA and that is why it can only be installed with download version.

Arnold Chang March 21, 2013

Thank you Bob. Will give it a try once available.

Thanks again. It helps.

2 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2013

Also see create subtask function in script runner plugin.

Thanks Jamie. Will try it soon.

Jamie,

Thanks again. It works well.

Jon October 15, 2018

hi Jamie, 

I was trying to automatically create subtasks based on the field in the parent issue "Number of Loads" which is random number usually from 1-100. I added the script runner post function but shouldn't there be a way to instruct that the number of sub tasks added is dependent on the field in the parent issue? 

1 vote
MeijerYoung August 19, 2020

Was this ever solved?

Joost de Ruijter September 10, 2020

You can achieve this with the Jira automation suite 

1 vote
Giulio Roggero January 7, 2014

Here is a step-by-step visual guide on how to configure a Jira Workflow to create an issue with several sub-tasks automatically - http://isolasoftware.it/2014/01/08/create-an-issue-in-jira-with-predefined-sub-tasks/

This is done without buying add-ons.

tom napper September 29, 2015

Giuliio. A bit stumped by your comment "this is done without buying add-ons." when one of the steps is to install Script Runner.

ANN LEE October 27, 2015

By following the step, sub-tasks will created automatically. However, all these sub-tasks are in Unassigned state. How to pre-assign the sub-task?

Bill Tanner August 16, 2016

Thanks Giulio, we already use Script Runner so your page was very useful.

Deleted user September 7, 2016

This only works for the server version, not on cloud. Any way to do this in the hosted version?

Suggest an answer