How can I increase the content limit (number of characters) in the "Descriptions" field ? Jira Cloud

Marek Sodolski May 2, 2022

Apart from attaching content in the form of files or links (for example from Confluence pages), is it possible to increase the limit of inserted content on the "Description" pages for Jira in the Cloud version?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2022

@Marek Sodolski this is not possible.

The amount of content in the description field is tied to the amount of characters allowed in the database column the field is tied to.

Extending this, would mean changing the database which I am sure Atlassian would not do because this would go against the idea of Cloud where the expectation is that the overall settings should be as similar as possible.

Regards.

@Ismael Jimoh , I would say: It is Atlassian business / technical decision rather than referring to the "idea of the Cloud" - since many other areas of Jira are parametrized. Best regards, Marek

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2022

Hello @Marek Sodolski ,

I'm believing you are looking for increasing the characters limit.
There is a feature request in jira cloud. Please check this feature request.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-63007 

Hi @Kagithala Babu Anvesh , Thank you for the information provided. 

The problem is, that documentation you refer to:

documentation.png

does not reflect options available in the system configuration:

No possibility to configure number of characters used for a description field .png

On that page - there are no possibility to configure number of characters used for a description field 

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2022

The following I believe is for Server where users host the data themselves. The option is unfortunately not available in Cloud.

I do agree with you that this could be parameterised as you mentioned. As suggested by @KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH , I will suggest watching and voting on the ticket shared.

Suggest an answer