• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I hide the right hand sidebar when I am viewing a jira issue

I want to share my screen and have another browser window open with non jira content. So space is limited - I just want to focus on the jira description & hide both left and right sidebars. I can see how to hide the left but not the right sidebar. Any help is much appreciated!

5 answers

1 accepted

if you add a bookmark to your browser which "links" to the following javascript, then clicking on that bookmark will toggle Jira's right-hand sidebar off/on:

javascript: (function(){const e = document.getElementById('viewissuesidebar'); e.style.display=(e.style.display==='none' ? '' : 'none');})()

.. the forum software here is mangling the code above. awesome.

the ":" after "javascript" should be a regular colon like ":".

i'll try putting it here, not in a code-block:

javascript:(function(){const e = document.getElementById('viewissuesidebar'); e.style.display=(e.style.display==='none' ? '' : 'none');})()

nope same diff. 

Thanks a lot Orion - really appreciate your help!

This works well but I needed to remove : and add an actual colon as the former gave an invalid url:

javascript:(function(){const e = document.getElementById('viewissuesidebar'); e.style.display=(e.style.display==='none' ? '' : 'none');})()

The above didn't work for me with the new Jira issues view.  I modified it to use the following, which is working for me:

javascript:(function(){const e = document.querySelector("#jira-frontend > div.sc-kGXeez.dtCPvf > div > div.css-ld3atn > div.css-1f63klf > div > div > div.sc-dVhcbM.feaefy > div.sc-bhVptL.fMYuYl > div > div.sc-iupvsZ.dFHhoC > div.sc-fBuWsC.dNYYtH > div > div.sc-beROAQ.jFnPZr"); e.style.display=(e.style.display==='none' ? '' : 'none');})()

Hi Andrew, you can use this: https://userstyles.org/styles/138944/jira-expand?view=openid
or create a custom field with javascript to hide viewissuesidebar div element.

Thanks Aleksandr - much appreciated!

Hi Andrew,

If you have an access to Announcement Banner configuration, you can try to put this script:

<script>
AJS.toInit(function () {
AJS.$("#viewissuesidebar").hide();
});
</script>

If you are going to hide right panel only for you - try to use some browser extension to add custom script to pages. For example for Chrome https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/custom-javascript-for-web/poakhlngfciodnhlhhgnaaelnpjljija?hl=en

Thanks Gregor - much appreciated!

It seems we no more have viewissuesidebar element.

I had to modify above selector to:

javascript&colon;(function(){const e = document.getElementsByClassName('sc-fwNAQS euqTza')[0]; e.style.display=(e.style.display==='none' ? '' : 'none');})()

unfortunately the class name you referenced doesn't appear on my issue view page either. Judging from the value I'm guessing its generated and not static, and will change, maybe depending on user or page load?

I ran this JS script in the console, and it seems to work. That `div` has a definitive `data-test-id` attribute set that we can use to select it:

document.querySelector("[data-test-id='issue.views.issue-details.issue-layout.right-most-column']").parentElement.style.display = "none"
Like Jim likes this

That's great - we can wrap that in a self-executing function Javascript block with Javascript URL scheme, as suggested by @orion elenzil :

javascript&colon;(function(){const e = document.querySelector("[data-test-id='issue.views.issue-details.issue-layout.right-most-column']").parentElement;e.style.display=(e.style.display==='none' ? '' : 'none');})()

Then add that URL as a bookmark. Note that you need to have a real colon rather then the entity, as rendered here.

Like # people like this

I can't believe this is the solution to this problem.
Why does Atlassian want to waste half of my screen on useless bs in the first place?

It's unbeleivable.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you