How can I give custom ID's to each issue type?

Tobias Müller March 21, 2019

Hey guys,

Right now the issues on my project all share the same ID-scheme. So a Bug could be poc-213, a task poc-254 and an epic poc-345. This project-related key is unique for each issue as you might know.

However, I'd like to have an additional ID-scheme, which is issue-dependend.

I tried to simply write an ID into the summary of each issue, for example

"BUG ID023 | No response from dataserver while updating". However, it is quite difficult to keep track of the current ID number for each issue type if you type it in manually.

So is there a possibility to automate this? It would be very handy if the system would automatically recommend a custom ID for each issue type. So when I create a bug and click on the summary field of the issue it should already recommend me "BUG IDXX | ", where XX is the highest current Bug ID +1.

Is there a third party software for this? Or a way to code it myself?

Best regards,
Tobias

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2019

The IDs are assigned by project. There is no way to change the format. 

Tobias Müller March 22, 2019

Yes, I know. But is there a way to create other ID's which are not assigned by project but by issue type by project?

Edit: As mentioned, the new custom ID'S don't have to be "real" ID's. It would be sufficient if they were just a way to write the ID into the summary-string of an issue. 

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2019

There may be a plugin or you may be able to do it with scripting. I don't use scripting so I don't know the limitations. It sounds like you could concatenate the issue type with the issue ID in a new field. It would have to be in a post function at the end the create transition so the id will be available. 

Suggest an answer