How can I get the 'Estimation' field to populate in the Time Tracking section of an issue

Hi there,

We have just started using JIRA as a trial in our organisation. I have tried to look through online guides and forums but am stuck. More than likely I have missed something obvious but please could someone point me ib the right direction?

In my project, in the Backlog screen I add a new story. I can then select the story and add a value into the 'Estimate' field on the right hand panel. (We are using the default issue types, only the workflow has been changed). I then add the story to a sprint and start working on it. We can log work by filling out the time spent field but no matter what options we select at this point, when we log the work we still have nothing in the 'Estimated' field in the Time Tracking section. (When you open the story to see all the fields). The remaining field can be populated and so can the logged field.

What we want is for the Estimated field here to either be set by us or to be pulled from the original estimate we gave before moving to a sprint. And then it would be great if the remaining work starts off by using the Estimated field and then adjusts accordingly, depending on what we set when logging work.

1 answer

Hi Helen,

The "Estimate" field is a wild card field that assumes the estimation type select by your board.

So, if you want this field to hold the values of Time Tracking, specifically of the Original Estimate field, then you have to set this in your Estimation Statistic for your Agile board.

You can find more information on how this works and how to set it up here:

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,338 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot