How can I find the ID of a custom field in Jira 5?

Drew Peifer November 2, 2012

I have found multiple articles on how to find the ID of a custom field using the API, but none without it. IMHO this should be a visible attribute when editing or configuring a Custom field.

The only solution I have found so far is to do the following:

• Enter administration section of Jira
  • Go to Issues Tab >> Fields...
  • View Field Configurations
  • hover mouse over "Screens" link (in JIra 4 this worked for the "Edit" link, it is different in Jira 5 though)
  • URL preview at bottom of browser will include fieldID=....

Has anyone found an easier solution? This becomes quite a pain if you have many custom fields and have to scroll down and hover over each screen link.

7 answers

1 accepted

24 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Selbrede
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2012

Actually, if you use the REST API Browser and execute the "field" command, or just run http://localhost/rest/api/2/field, you will get a list of all your configured fields, along with their ids.

VP June 26, 2019

For some reason I don't see all the fields in the response.

I tried requesting through Postman.

Sunil Cyriac August 26, 2019

This worked. Thank you.

10 votes
Karthi O February 10, 2014

To identify the custom field ID:

Icon

1. go to Administration/Custom Fields
  2. click on the "Configure" link for the custom field you're interested in
  3. in the URL of the Configure Custom Field page, note the number after "customFieldId=" and append it to "customfield_" to build the custom field ID
Andrew DeFaria January 23, 2015

And if you have the customFieldId and you're looking for the Custom Field name? What do you have to do each and every custom field?

Noy Eliahu July 27, 2015

Great thanks!

kishore kr February 21, 2017

thanks !

Jessica Wolfe March 9, 2018

Excellent solution!

1 vote
Nidhi Sharma November 25, 2014

But How I can get the System field ID ?

Anuj July 2, 2015

/rest/api/2/field : Returns a list of all System fields as well as Custom fields.

Anuj July 31, 2015

Also you can find these kind of details here https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/latest/constant-values.html

1 vote
Mala Benn February 2, 2014

Surely there should be an easier way?

Imdad KP April 1, 2019

/rest/api/2/field

0 votes
Julian von Hildebrand August 25, 2015

To find a custom field ID / name I open JIRA exported data (.xml) file (backup file) with Notepad+ and search the value I know. Custom field ID and name are associated on same line.

0 votes
rpenkert December 4, 2014

You can access the system field with the equivalent name in english. According to this, the system field id for "description" is "description" . 

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2012

It will still work on edit link, under Administration > Custom Fields - just hover over the Edit dropdown from the cog. Another way is to look into database but that will be even more painful!

Suggest an answer