How can I find the ID of a custom field in Jira 5?

I have found multiple articles on how to find the ID of a custom field using the API, but none without it. IMHO this should be a visible attribute when editing or configuring a Custom field.

The only solution I have found so far is to do the following:

• Enter administration section of Jira
  • Go to Issues Tab >> Fields...
  • View Field Configurations
  • hover mouse over "Screens" link (in JIra 4 this worked for the "Edit" link, it is different in Jira 5 though)
  • URL preview at bottom of browser will include fieldID=....

Has anyone found an easier solution? This becomes quite a pain if you have many custom fields and have to scroll down and hover over each screen link.

7 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Actually, if you use the REST API Browser and execute the "field" command, or just run http://localhost/rest/api/2/field, you will get a list of all your configured fields, along with their ids.

To identify the custom field ID:

Icon

1. go to Administration/Custom Fields
  2. click on the "Configure" link for the custom field you're interested in
  3. in the URL of the Configure Custom Field page, note the number after "customFieldId=" and append it to "customfield_" to build the custom field ID

And if you have the customFieldId and you're looking for the Custom Field name? What do you have to do each and every custom field?

Excellent solution!

Surely there should be an easier way?

But How I can get the System field ID ?

/rest/api/2/field : Returns a list of all System fields as well as Custom fields.

It will still work on edit link, under Administration > Custom Fields - just hover over the Edit dropdown from the cog. Another way is to look into database but that will be even more painful!

You can access the system field with the equivalent name in english. According to this, the system field id for "description" is "description" . 

To find a custom field ID / name I open JIRA exported data (.xml) file (backup file) with Notepad+ and search the value I know. Custom field ID and name are associated on same line.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

125 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you