How can I export 1 project out of several hosted in the cloud with all data, attachments, comments

Ilan Boock October 14, 2020

Our hosted Jira software has a dozen or so projects, I need to export only of these projects including all related aspects.

I could only find exporting issues from a selection or a backup which will include all projects, is there a way to export only one project?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2020

There is no project export.  You'll need to find apps that can provide data extracts or write something to scrape the data out over REST

Thanks,

That is a pity.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2020

It is, it's not an unusual need to do this, but Atlassian (and frankly, their competition too) all tend not to do it, because they're generally pushing towards keeping stuff on their systems, ideally the largest one, so enabling exporting and moving to another really is not a priority for them.

That said, I really would follow up with @Jannina Koskinen - I think I know where she's going with her answer and if I'm right, it should meet your use-case.  I know we're looking for a wide range of use-cases in this area, and I think yours is highly representative and hence should be high on the to-do list.  Please do take a couple of minutes to drop her an email!

1 vote
Jannina Koskinen October 14, 2020

Hi @Ilan Boock !

Like Nick mentioned, currently there are no project export. However, I would love to know more about you as a user and your use case and we might be able to help you in the near future with some functionality we are currently working on. Would you mind dropping me an email to

projectconfigurator@adaptavist.com

so my team could have a look at your case?

Best,

Jannina

Hi @Jannina Koskinen 

Well we have a couple of business cases, the first is some projects are no longer active, and we would like to clean up and remove redundant projects.

The more important, business case in one case we need to move the project to another JIRA server, but only the relevant project should be moved. As the cloud solution, in use on several customer projects, it is not possible to take the full backup and important all of it.

Jannina Koskinen October 15, 2020

Hey @Ilan Boock !

From which hostings (Cloud, Server/DC) to which one are your use cases about exactly? I know you mentioned server and cloud in this thread but wasn't sure which is the source Jira and which one is target?

0 votes
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 14, 2020

Hi @Ilan Boock ,

Do you want the export to be restorable? Or just want to export all data for long-term storage or a similar use case?

If restoring is not a requirement and PDF format would suffice then one possible way is by using the Better PDF Exporter app. This is often used to create self-containing, immutable PDF documents that auditors or other third parties accept and can access without logging into systems.

You can select the issues to be included in the PDF (all issues in a specific project in your case) and use a built-in template to export the change history, comments, etc and also choose to embed issue attachments as well.
See an example here and more in the PDF Export Sample Gallery:

jira-single-issue-export-with-history.png

(Please note that Better PDF Exporter is a paid and supported app and I'm part of the team developing it.)

Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events