How can I estimate subtasks in Points instead of Time?

Bruno Mucelini June 24, 2016

In our work methodology we estimate the subtasks of stories based on points.

Our stories contains an "initial score" estimate, but when we add tasks
it contains the sum total of points of subtasks, which we call "real effort".

Is there any way the story automatically calculate the score based real effort on subtasks?

And How do I do when I to complete a sub-task, my burndown lower the score? Because now it is only dropping when I conclude the whole story.

Thanks

Bruno

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2016

You can put points on sub-tasks, but they won't have anything to do with their parent, so you need to be very careful and rigourous about how you use them.

Bruno Mucelini June 24, 2016

Thanks Nic.
So, You could tell me how do I change the remainder estimate of story to points?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2016

Sorry, I should really have said that too!

First, go to admin -> custom fields and find "story points".  Edit the configuration for it and make sure it includes your sub-task types (by default, it only lives on stories I think, so you need to check and update this context)

Second, again as an admin, have a look at the project's "screens" - do they include the story point field for create, edit and view on subtasks?  If not, then add it

Finally, go to your board as a board admin and look for the estimation tab - select story points in there

Bruno Mucelini June 25, 2016

No problem Nic, thanks for help me.

But my Remaining Estimate continue in hours. Can I change it to points?:

See

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2016

Absolutely not.  They are completely different fields, because they are measuring different things.

An estimate is a length of time.  Story points are a measure of complexity and do not have a simple linear relationship with time.  If you are finding yourself thinking things like "well, 1 SP takes an hour", then you're not really using them and you should forget them and use estimates.

https://www.atlassian.com/agile/estimation is worth a quick read on this subject.

Bruno Mucelini June 26, 2016

I understand, it is that our estimate is really different from the conventional. I say who "we invented" a way to estimate who is presenting a percentage of assertiveness very good. We estimate the tasks at points and not in hours (even these points are based on hours), and therefore would like my sprint had "remaining points" instead of remaining hours.

I'm trying to adapt the Jira to our reality, but it seems that is not possible.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2016

You can do your sprints on "remaining points", you just need to put the points in a numeric field and tell the boards to work off that. 

The important bit is that the "estimate" fields are built for handling times and durations, so that's what they expect as input and what they display.  Points are simple dimensionless numbers, so you have to use a different type of field to handle them.

Bruno Mucelini June 28, 2016
Got it

Thanks Nic.
0 votes
Dang Thi Thuy Tien
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2019

Suggest an answer