How can I enable the Epic panel in a Kanban board?

I'm trying to follow these steps to enable the Epic panel in a Kanban board, but I cannot see the Epic panel check. I am JIRA administrator and my Kanban board has a Backlog column with a status already added. Am I missing something?

Thank you for the answers.

4 answers

1 accepted

Hi Sam, thank you for your quick response.

I've been investigating further and I've noticed that I don't have that Kanban backlog, like the one you just showed. This is how it looks like for me:

Captura.PNG

This is the Backlog column that is showed to me.

For more information, I'm using a shelf hosted JIRA version 7.1.2. I've found that to enable that Kanban backlog JIRA I need to follow these steps. If I've understood correctly, I need to activate Kanban board under the JIRA Software Labs, which is only available in JIRA Cloud.

Sam Hall Community Champion Nov 30, 2016

Yep. It's in Cloud only, I'm afraid. I don't think is a Labs feature anymore - it's there by default now, which it is why it is in the Cloud docs you were looking at here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configuring-columns-764477997.html#Configuringcolumns-enablingkanbanbacklog

Sadly it's not in 7.1.x as you'll see by looking at the equivalent docs for server 7.1 here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver071/configuring-columns-800706589.html, which don't have the section about enabling.

I'm not sure if it is coming soon to server. Maybe someone will be able to comment further on that.

Sam

I was afraid that this feature would only be available in Cloud version sad. I hope that they will add the feature soon in the self hosted version (I don't understand why they haven't done this yet).

Thank you so much for your answers, Sam.  

No worries. I've marked your own answer as accepted, as I think you answered your own question in the end smile

By the way, I found the 'Suggestion' ticket for implementing on server version:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-15236

You could watch and vote if you are interested.

Sam

0 votes

Hi Javier,

Just to check. Your problem is that you don't see the 'Epics panel' option in More (...) > Board Settings > Columns tab, right?

kanban-backlog-panel-epic.jpg

It should appear after you have dragged a status into the "Kanban backlog" section on the far right, but it sounds like you might have done that.

If you have, can you attach a screenshot of how it looks. That might help others understand your issue.

Sam

0 votes
Steven Behnke Community Champion Nov 30, 2016

Please tell us what version of JIRA you're using.

I'm having a similar problem, using the hosted version of jira, 7.4.3 and I don't see a way to turn on the epics list for the Kanban board..  

Steven Behnke Community Champion Sep 28, 2017

What have you tried?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,739 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot