How can I enable a custom field to be usable within issue security levels?

Tobias Rapp April 15, 2013

I have configured some custom field "Customer Group" using the Kepler Custom Field plug-in. The custom field contains a group name calculated automatically from the issue reporter.

Now I would like to use the custom field within some issue security level, but it does not appear within the drop-down list of the "Group Custom Field Value" drop-down list. How can I enable my custom field to be listed in the drop-down list? Is there a restriction on specific field types?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2013

The issue security configuration accepts only custom fields that are explicitly User pickers (extend UserCFType) or Group Pickers (extend GroupCFType). The SIL Script custom field is neither of those, but rather a generic calculated custom field. Unfortunately you cannot use the SIL Script custom field in this case.

Tobias Rapp April 15, 2013

The thing that confuses me still is that in Jira 5.2 the "Group Custom Field Value" drop-down list contains two GreenHopper fields: "Flagged" and "Epic Status". I assume that they do not implement GroupCFType. Why are they listed?

Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2013

I don't know how it does that, but the idea that it might be done from a plugin is especially tempting to explore.

Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2013

Just tried the Epic Status in the permission scheme, but it looks like it doesn't do anything - permissions are not granted regardless of the Epic Status. It might just be a side effect.

Stefan Broda
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2014

Could a work around be to set a standard group picker field via a post-function to write into a standard multiple user picker field? E.g. after issue creation?

Suggest an answer