It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I create a status category?

Hello,

Right now there are only 3 status categories - 'To Do', 'In Progress' and 'Done'. I want to create another category and associate it with my own statuses. For example, I don't want the status 'Failed' to be in category 'Done', because that changes the background of the status to green, and is like the request failed as intended. In my case request should be worked on till the status goes to 'Done', but there should be intermediate status failed with the color red.

Regards,

Alexander

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Alexander Yordanov,

according to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-36241 Atlassian won't enable new status category colors.

You could try an add-on (e.g. https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.almworks.jira.colors.colors-plugin/server/overview) to improve colors of your issues based on status.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes
Chris (STAGIL)

I fail to see how this answers the OP question.

"I want to create another category and associate it with my own statuses."

I don't see this issued addressed at all.

Could you confirm whether it is possible at all or not with JIRA cloud? Could it be added by installing a plugin?

Thank you

Why is Google saying this issue is solved? I was so excited when I saw this, but then the accepted answer is that it IS NOT solved.

Every resource, attribute, and property is customizable in Jira, what is the thinking behind not making status categories so?

There are so many more status categories that are so so basic... How about "Blocked" for instance which may have several statuses associated with it? And you need a category to differentiate when a task has not been started (todo) and when it is not able to move forward (blocked)?

Please add this basic feature

Here here. This pretty much sums my thoughts up.

I want this too. A New issue isn't "To Do" yet in our workflow. It is more like "Requested" or Proposed"

that can be done easily... you can create a new status and make that the first status when you create an issue.

How does your suggestion relate to categories? Our first status is "New" which is custom. However I can not set that to a custom category which is not yet "To Do".

You question seems workflow related as you mentioned: A New issue isn't "To Do" yet in our workflow. 

So it seems that you want to change your initial status. 

That is not correct. There is a status category "To Do". We already have custom status "New". This question is about custom categories. There is no category that fits with our "New" status. The first option is "To Do" (again this is a category, not a status. each status is assigned a category in Jira). We do not want it to be "To Do" because we do not want anyone working on "New" tickets until they are moved to the "To Do" status (which is also in the "To Do" category). We also want to be able to create an "Active Issues" filter that does not include issues with the "New" status. If we add the "New" status to the "To Do" category then it will show up in the "Active Issues" filter. I hope that clarifies things. There is no category that fits our "New" issue status.

Like 2 people like this

Has there been any update on this bit of functionality? I can't seem to find any way to create your own custom Categories within a Status. The ability to create custom categories and use them as the default categories are used seems like something that definitely should be supported.

Maarten Breesnee, have you been able to create new status options to assign to your work items? If so, how do you do it?

0 votes
Manh Auze I'm New Here Jan 09, 2019

Manh cer admin

0 votes

Echoing this request. To Do - In Progress - Done  for project status columns is limited. Is it possible to add an additional Category for your project's Status Columns?

0 votes

Would also like to know if we can add to the default "Category" under Statuses or are we simply limited to "To Do, Done, In Progres"

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published Apr 09, 2019 in Portfolio for Jira

Portfolio for Jira 3.0 is here!

The wait is over... Portfolio for Jira Server and Data Center 3.0 is now officially here! Platform releases offer Atlassian an opportunity to shift our strategy, make bold predictions about t...

1,365 views 14 26
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you