It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I create a status category?

Alexander Yordanov Apr 03, 2018

Hello,

Right now there are only 3 status categories - 'To Do', 'In Progress' and 'Done'. I want to create another category and associate it with my own statuses. For example, I don't want the status 'Failed' to be in category 'Done', because that changes the background of the status to green, and is like the request failed as intended. In my case request should be worked on till the status goes to 'Done', but there should be intermediate status failed with the color red.

Regards,

Alexander

8 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christopher Jaksch Apr 03, 2018

Hi @Alexander Yordanov,

according to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-36241 Atlassian won't enable new status category colors.

You could try an add-on (e.g. https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.almworks.jira.colors.colors-plugin/server/overview) to improve colors of your issues based on status.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes
Chris (STAGIL)

Marcello Romani I'm New Here Jan 08, 2019

I fail to see how this answers the OP question.

"I want to create another category and associate it with my own statuses."

I don't see this issued addressed at all.

Could you confirm whether it is possible at all or not with JIRA cloud? Could it be added by installing a plugin?

Thank you

Chris Gembarowski Apr 22, 2019

As much as we hate it, the answer to, "How can I create a status category?" is "you can't."  However the link provides suggestions on how to simulate custom status categories.

From the link:

We have decided to close this specific request for additional status categories as Won't Fix. The finite set of status categories allows us to build useful features on top of them, like completion progress indicators for Epics and Versions.

We recognize that for many teams, most of the steps in a workflow are "In Progress" and that it can be difficult to distinguish them. Here are some strategies:

Add additional columns to your board for different workflow states. You can have several "In Progress" columns to represent concepts like "In Development" or "Under Review".

Use the card colors based on JQL queries feature (documentation) to define your own colors for workflow states. I've created this suggestion in the JIRA Agile project to improve this in the future: GHS-11666

Use JIRA Agile card layouts (new in JIRA Agile 6.6) to show the workflow state on the card (documentation)

To customize the display of issues within the JIRA issue navigator, consider the free third-party icnavigator add-on from Interconcept GmbH.

Lori Full Access I'm New Here Apr 29, 2019

I will now cancel my trial period.  I refuse to do a series of workarounds for something as basic as having more than 3 status categories to pick from.  

Like # people like this
4 votes
Daniel Carper Feb 07, 2019

Why is Google saying this issue is solved? I was so excited when I saw this, but then the accepted answer is that it IS NOT solved.

Every resource, attribute, and property is customizable in Jira, what is the thinking behind not making status categories so?

There are so many more status categories that are so so basic... How about "Blocked" for instance which may have several statuses associated with it? And you need a category to differentiate when a task has not been started (todo) and when it is not able to move forward (blocked)?

Please add this basic feature

Daniel Beattie Mar 11, 2019

Here here. This pretty much sums my thoughts up.

J. Caldwell Apr 23, 2019

It's solved because the short answer is "You can't." There were suggestions on how to simulate things. That's all you can do.

Daniel Carper Apr 24, 2019 • edited

Well that's misleading, inefficient, and inconsistent with the plethora of "done" statuses I get out of the box with Jira even.

This is a question (check the breadcrumbs / url), questions have answers... You don't solve a question, you solve a problem. And this is a question concerning a problem that is anything but solved.

I could see an accurate status for the problem itself being Unsolved, Never to be solvedDecided to never implement. Or maybe change the status of this to at least Answered so it makes sense. Any of which would then have a status category of Done

In a perfect world someone would figure out how to get Google to simply show the text You can't, ever on the search results page and save everyone the time and hassle. 

Anyway just my two cents, cheers

1 vote
Rafe Sacks Nov 08, 2018

I want this too. A New issue isn't "To Do" yet in our workflow. It is more like "Requested" or Proposed"

that can be done easily... you can create a new status and make that the first status when you create an issue.

Rafe Sacks Nov 19, 2018 • edited

How does your suggestion relate to categories? Our first status is "New" which is custom. However I can not set that to a custom category which is not yet "To Do".

You question seems workflow related as you mentioned: A New issue isn't "To Do" yet in our workflow. 

So it seems that you want to change your initial status. 

Rafe Sacks Nov 20, 2018 • edited

That is not correct. There is a status category "To Do". We already have custom status "New". This question is about custom categories. There is no category that fits with our "New" status. The first option is "To Do" (again this is a category, not a status. each status is assigned a category in Jira). We do not want it to be "To Do" because we do not want anyone working on "New" tickets until they are moved to the "To Do" status (which is also in the "To Do" category). We also want to be able to create an "Active Issues" filter that does not include issues with the "New" status. If we add the "New" status to the "To Do" category then it will show up in the "Active Issues" filter. I hope that clarifies things. There is no category that fits our "New" issue status.

Like # people like this
Colin Tennery Dec 11, 2018

Has there been any update on this bit of functionality? I can't seem to find any way to create your own custom Categories within a Status. The ability to create custom categories and use them as the default categories are used seems like something that definitely should be supported.

Jeff Davis I'm New Here Feb 13, 2019

Maarten Breesnee, have you been able to create new status options to assign to your work items? If so, how do you do it?

1 vote
Mark Faulkner I'm New Here Feb 04, 2019

Echoing this request. To Do - In Progress - Done  for project status columns is limited. Is it possible to add an additional Category for your project's Status Columns?

0 votes
Manh Auze I'm New Here Jan 09, 2019

Manh cer admin

0 votes
Jason Barber Apr 10, 2019

Would also like to know if we can add to the default "Category" under Statuses or are we simply limited to "To Do, Done, In Progres"

0 votes
Mounir Haddouch May 22, 2019

You should be able to add, PLEASE RFC!!!!!!!

0 votes
Lance L. Summy May 22, 2019

Recommend revisiting the link provided in the 2018 comment above.  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-36241

It appears that Jira Status "Categories" is not suited for your expectations or usage.

Recommend creative use of workflows and statuses in conjunction with unique resolutions. 

Another option is to create a custom field and script your own "Category" to display expected results.

Other options discussed in the link above may also achieve the results you are looking for.

Either case, it appears that Atlassian made their decision and are not adding additional status categories at this time.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Next-gen

Introducing subtasks for breaking down work in next-gen projects

Teams break work down in order to help simplify complex tasks. This is often done iteratively, with tasks being broken down into smaller tasks and so on until the work is accurately captured in well-...

8,224 views 25 36
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you