How can I change the status when moving an issue?

Matti Popesku August 4, 2015

Hi!

How can I change the status of an issue when I move it to another project?
If the target project have the same statuses JIRA use as a default the same / old status from the original project. After moving one issue I can set teh desired status. But I wish there is a way to do this within the move-process.

Best regards

Matti

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2015

You can't - the move tries to keep it as simple as possible, and if it can avoid changing the status, it will.

Matti Popesku August 20, 2015

That's what I know until now. But I hope for a tweak, a script or add-on etc.

Gaurav Arora September 12, 2019

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

Is there any solution for this now in the latest version?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2019

No change, sorry. 

It's because moving issues is not something you should really do a lot, and when you are doing it for the right reasons, you usually don't want to change the status.  Because of that, Atlassian have tried to keep it as simple and plain as possible.

The the use-cases for it are "user error when they picked the wrong project or issue type", "large scale re-organisation" and "archiving".  Not every-day activity.

Like Sumit Kumar likes this
Gaurav Arora September 12, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Thank you for the quick reply.

I'll try it out with a script listener to do a transition on move event.

Derek Hansell April 29, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

"User error when the picked the wrong project or issue type," "not every-day activity."

Are you kidding? In the Service Desk module users open up the wrong issue type a dozen times a day. We move issues between types every day. It is stupid that you don't get an option to change the status every time you Move an issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2020

Why have you configured your service desk in a way that guides them to do this?

Suggest an answer