How can I assign specific step/status to specific group/users in a workflow

Tufan Alatan February 15, 2018

Hello,

We are  very new to Jira and could not be able to manage the situation .I have defined a specific workflow with different steps and for each step there should be a group be assigned automatically for each transition . For example a developer when finished with its step (development) should change to TEST and only TESTER group should see that issue . When they finished back to Developers or to Ueer Acceptance group and so on .. 

Thanks and regards 

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2018

You don't assign anything to status in a workflow.

Issues are assigned to users, and the assignee is the single person responsible for them at the current time.

But you can do what you need.  Divide your project users up into roles in the project.  Starting with the roles of Developer and Tester as you've mentioned them.  Then, edit your workflow.  Place a "condition" on the transition from development to test that says "only role of developers can do this".  Then you'll want a condition on the test passed and test failed transitions for "only role of testers", and so-on through your workflow.

Tufan Alatan February 15, 2018

Thanks a lot Nic !!! So when we move from one step to another it is not possible to assign a group automatically ??? We have to change the step and the assignee ? People may not know who will be the specific assignee ? But it is easier to assign to a group automatically ? 

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2018

You can't assign a group. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2018

Yes, you have to move issues through your workflow, assigning them to the person who should take responsibility for the work that needs to be done on them next.

If you don't know who the assignee should be, then either assign it to someone who does, or set it unassigned and ask the right set of people to look for issues regularly (ideally, make it appear in their boards)

Use the status to show what the current state is - in your case, you might consider a "ready for test", which is clear that development is done, so it's the test team who need to look at it.  They will probably have a board with "ready to test" as the first column, so they'll see things flowing into their queue.

0 votes
Juan Manuel Ibarra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2018

Hi!

You could create a Security Level for each team and in the transition modify that Security Level with a postfunction.

Captura de pantalla 2018-02-15 a la(s) 13.21.48.pngThis way only the groups within that security level will be able to see the issue until it changes to another step

Tufan Alatan February 16, 2018

Hello 

I have created 5 different Security Levels and 5 different groups. When I chose the choice you send it asks for Project Roles (admin developer and service desk user etc ) which is not my groups ??? Should I add project Roles as well ? 

Juan Manuel Ibarra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2018

Using project roles is more convenient than using groups. On the one hand allows a project owner to modify them without needing help from an administrator, on the other hand allows the same group to have different roles depending on the project. I would recommend use the scheme with project roles

Suggest an answer