How can I add labels to transition screens in Jira?

Mark McD June 20, 2011

I'm displaying a custom screen when transitioning a workflow in Jira & have added an 'attachment' field. I'd like to also add a label field above the attachment field to explain what is expected of the attachment.

Is there a custom field I can add that is simply a spanning row of configurable text? Is there a better way of doing this?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2011

Colin is right about the Jira Toolkit, it has two "message" fields. One for Edit, and another for View. On a transition screen, you want to use "edit", even if you're only displaying something, because the name refers to the context the field appears in, and transitions are an "edit" in that sense. They can be rather powerful too, as you can use velocity in them to do processing and generate dynamic html (e.g. put an estimate progress bar on a transition screen)

Mark McD June 21, 2011
Brilliant - that was right in front of me the whole time. Accepting this answer as it clearly points out that "message" is the field to use.
1 vote
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2011

I think it's the JIRA Toolkit plugin which has various readonly message custom fields that you can use to display HTML and even velocity markup. You can then show that field in the appropriate place on the workflow screen

amar singh October 31, 2011

I tried that custom field too (read only), but it does nothing. I tried putting it in the view screen, edit screen, nothing worked.

Suggest an answer