How To Show Epic Next To a Story That Has a Sub-Task Under It.

Jason Cox I'm New Here Oct 04, 2017

I was wondering if there is a way to get the epic title to show next to a story that has a sub-task under it. 

Currently if you have a story item that has no sub-task you will see the colored epic title on the story.  However, as soon as you add a sub-task to that story the colored epic title disappears.  

It would be nice to be able to see which stories are going towards completing the same epic in a sprint without having to click on each one individually.

1 answer

0 votes

Hi @Jason Cox,

Could you share a screenshot (or 2) showing where this behaviour is happening?

@Walter Buggenhout [ACA IT]

Here is a link to imgur where I put some images that hopefully help you see what I am talking about.

So to replicate what is happening create an epic.  

Create a story that is apart of that epic.

Start your sprint with that story in the sprint

(now your story should be sitting under "Other tasks" with an epic label on the story)

If you add a task to the story though the story moves out of "other tasks" and becomes its own task, which is fine.  However, the epic tag that was on the story disappears.  

I would like the epic tag to stay on the story when I add a task to it. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,935 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot