How Can I Auto Delete Issues after 6 months?

Aaron Pieros August 3, 2021

We have a service management project that receives a lot of emails, often with large attachments. It is using up more storage space than all our other service management projects combined. We have a standard plan so our storage is limited and it is going to be an issue down the road. 

Generally the issues in this project don't need to be kept for more than 30 days. How can I use automation to automatically delete issues in this project older than a few months?

4 answers

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2021

I strongly recommend against deleting issues. Once they are closed they should be nice and quiet and should not require any maintenance and you will have them there in the future should you need to go back and review.

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2021

Hi @Aaron Pieros 

Whatever approach you choose for automatically purging old information from Jira and JSM Cloud, I suggest you investigate, build out, and test a backup/restore capability first.  That will provide some protection against errors in your purge process.

For more information, please look here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-automate-backups-for-jira-cloud-applications-779160659.html

Best regards,
Bill

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2021

Hi @Aaron Pieros 

Deleting an issue using automation rule is possible but if you just want to save storage space then why not delete the attachments instead. At least you will not lose your issue.

I made a video exactly to cover this use case.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

0 votes
Arthur Bershadskiy August 3, 2021

Hi Aaron,

You can set up a scheduled automation rule to run a JQL search with "created < startofDay(-30)" and delete the issue. This will check every issue every day at a specified time and delete any issue that was created over 30 days ago. You can replace the 30 with however many days you want. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 12.04.30 PM.png

Regards,

Arthur

Emil Varona August 16, 2022

@Arthur Bershadskiy Where exactly do I find automations for alerts? I have a similar requirement to delete alerts in dev environments older than 24H, but I cannot see where to do this from using automations. Thank you.

Arthur Bershadskiy August 16, 2022

@Emil Varona Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by alerts in this case. Are these JIRA notifications, comments, or something else? 

Emil Varona August 16, 2022

@Arthur Bershadskiy Sorry, I was following the thread and referring to OpsGenie. I need to find a way to delete outdated alerts as our dev environment generates many that aren't critical but important to the dev team in the short term.

Arthur Bershadskiy August 17, 2022

Ah sorry, I'm not familiar with OpsGenie so I'm not sure I could help out with that. Might be worth starting a new thread on it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events