Hot to automate creating a Jira Software ticket when a Jira Service Management ticket is opened

Daniel Roig March 16, 2021

Hot to automate creating a Jira Software ticket when a Jira Service Management ticket is opened. We can link between the two but I would like to setup an automation rule so that when someone opens a ticket in Jira Service Management and it is assigned to a certain person it will create a ticket in Jira software automatically. 

2 answers

0 votes
Nishanth Thimmareddy (Appfire)
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 18, 2021

Hi @Daniel Roig

You can use Create on Transition for Jira to create an issue in the Jira Software project when a Jira Service Management ticket is opened using the Create issue post function.

Full disclosure, I'm the product manager for the app, and we built it precisely for this purpose.

The best part is that no coding is required. You can check out this webinar for more details on how you can automate issue creation with Create on Transition across Jira projects and also customise the post function to assign to a particular user.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Kind regards,

Nishanth T

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2021

Hello Daniel.

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

It’s possible to use automation to create an issue in a Software project once it’s assigned and on the same automation rule, it’s possible to link both issues.

Please, go to the Service Management project and create a new rule and use the one below as a guide:

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 15.27.55.png

Please, take your time to test and if you face any issues or have any other questions, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Daniel Roig March 17, 2021

I've gone through and created a new rule but when I get to create issue I don't see our Jira Software project as one of the options in the drop down box for Project. It only shows me my JSM project. 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2021

Hi Daniel,

Checking the details of your site, I can see that both of your Free sites don’t have Jira Software.

You created another question about the integration between JSM and Software and you linked Jira Software from another site on application links.

The automation will only work if the project is under the same URL. With this said, it’s expected that the Software project won’t show on the list. 

Daniel Roig March 18, 2021

Correct, I had to link the two sites so we could link issues between them. Is there a way to move my JSM project to the same URL as the Software site?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
March 18, 2021

Currently, the ability to move a project between Cloud sites is not available, but you can participate in an early access program.

For details and access to the form, please check the article below:

Otherwise, you can use CSV to import the issues on the other site. You will need to add JSM and create a project and then, import the issues to the new project.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events