Hide Closed Epics from backlog view

Adam Paeth August 16, 2017

I currently have a good number of Epic stories that have been closed, but they still show up on the left side of my backlog list. Is there a way to remove or hide epics that are closed?

5 answers

2 accepted

25 votes
Answer accepted
Blair Gemmer July 23, 2018

Found the answer by exploring the UI:

Even if the Epic issue is "DONE", it will show up in the Epics panel. To mark as done and remove from Epics panel in Backlog, you have to go to the Epic and there's a dropdown next to the name of the Epic to "Mark as Done":

mark_as_done.png

Varuna Paul September 18, 2019

This was really helpful. Thank you!

Like # people like this
Rebecca Lüke November 26, 2020

Hey all
Additionally, you can set up post functions on the transitions to ensure that the "epic status" and the "status" are both set to "done". This prevents future epics to remain in your backlog. :-)

Furthermore: Don't forget to also set post functions for re-opening your epic so that the "epic status" also gets set back to "to do". If you forget this step the epics will not be visible in your backlog. 

I recommend to declutter your backlog manually with the help of Blair's recommendation or you make a bulk change to filter for all epics that have a status "done"/"Rejected" but still the "epic status" = "To do"/"In Progress".

• This JQL query could look like this: project = "Your project name" and type = Epic and Team = TEAMNAME AND "Epic Status" in ("To Do","In Progress") and status in (Done, Rejected, Closed) 
  • Then apply a bulk change to set the "Epic status" to "done" => backlog tidied up!

Update any issue field.png

Like # people like this
3 votes
Answer accepted
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 24, 2017

@Adam Paeth

Yes you can do this by selecting the option "Mark as done" that will set the Epic Status to Done.

Remember that is not the Issue Status.

We've implemented advanced epic pane filtering.

Have a look at the discussion here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Product-Apps-discussions/Epic-Version-Panels-filtering-features/td-p/629901#M67

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 11.55.34.png

Josiah Bryan February 3, 2023

This is no longer a valid answer - there is no dropdown arrow to "mark as done" anymoreimage.png

Like # people like this
6 votes
Richard KEENAN August 19, 2022

This is so dumb "if you set your epic status to done, it's not really done, you have to go somewhere else to to mark it as done"

Jira is the worst. 

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2017

If you have admin permissions on the board you can change the filter query being used to exclude issues that are closed.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2021

This was my "workaorund" for some time, but then I realized that by excluding 'completed' stories, these stories were also being excluded from the reports.

Like Sara Patel likes this
0 votes
Sherri Evans July 6, 2021

I came across this as another way to solve this, using an automation rule. Works great so far. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/set-epic-status-to-done-on-issue-ark-as-done/qaq-p/1096735

Suggest an answer