set epic status to done on issue ark as done

Monizze IT May 31, 2019

Hello,

I see a lot of question about this topics (please make it clearer in jira itself!) but the fact that the status of the issue and the status of an epic is not linked is very perturbing.

So I try to change our workflow to update the custom field 'epic status' but there is no "custom field update" possibility. And I don"t want to pay for a plugin or to add a script that will be probably outdate to each jira release. So How can I make something that work that help me to work with epic, and when I mark the issue as done, the fu**ng field "epic status' is updated too

4 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2019

Hello @Monizze IT ,

I understand your frustration, epic status vs epic issue status is a tricky one.

You have 3 options to update an epic issue status on Jira Server:

1. Manually
  2. Automatically with a free app
  3. Automatically with a paid app

Option 1: manually

In the backlog view, right-click on an epic > Mark as Done:

epics_complete-epics.png

Option 2: automatically with a free app

You can use Automation for Jira - Server Lite. See here to learn more about this app, it will always stay free.

Add a global automation rule:

rule.png

• Trigger: Issue transitioned (I chose "Done" in this example, but of course you need to adapt it to your epic's workflow)

trigger.png

• Condition: JQL condition, to filter on epics
issuetype = epic

condition.png

• Action: Edit issue, to update the epic issue status field
{
"fields": {
"Epic Status": { "value": "Done" }
}
}

action.png

Option 3: automatically with a paid app

Using Jira Suite Utilities, Jira Misc Workflow Extensions or any other similar app to get the "Update issue custom field" post-function, or ScriptRunner to add a script post-function.

Hope this helps!

- Manon

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2019

well written @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ . One question here, does Server not have the Post function for "Update issue custom field"? In Cloud I have this and am able to use it to set the Epic Status to Done when the issue status of an Epic is moved to Done. Of course this means you need a separate WF for Epics, or maybe it would simply be ignored since Epic Status doesn't apply to other issue types.

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2019

Thanks, Jack! This is actually a difference between Cloud and Server, we have less post-functions available on plain Jira Server than on Cloud, see below the available ones:

post-functions.png

(This is from a Jira 7.13, I think the Hipchat post-function has been removed from Jira 8)

Edit: I've just edited my initial answer to add "You have 3 options to update an epic issue status on Jira Server", thanks for your comment @Jack Brickey 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2019

that is unfortunate on the available post functions. For server then I like your Option 2 for sure. I use the addon and love it.

Monizze IT May 31, 2019

thanks for the free option, it's enough.

2 votes
Phill Pafford January 28, 2022

I used Jira Automation, note the custom field I found in the error message when I tried to use Epic Status

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 3.31.31 PM.png

2 votes
Peder Alm August 19, 2021

Look at "Align workflow status with epic status" on this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver0811/working-with-epic-statuses-1019393039.html

This worked for me

0 votes
Maja Zuchowska September 18, 2023

How to work this automation when different issues have different "Done" statuses? Eg. we are using Analysis tickets that get resolved when "Requirements approved".

Can't use OR operator in JQL.

Suggest an answer