HTML and custom field description

Steve Johnson April 20, 2017

I have created a custom field (user picker). I would like the field description to be "bold" when displayed on screens. I put the description between <b>text</b> but that is how it is displayed on the screen. It does appear bold under the field on the Administration page. This is on Jira Software v 7.2.

3 answers

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2017

Atlassian are removing the html from displays because it's a vector for security attacks.  They've not got around to the admin screens yet, as admins generally have to be trusted no matter what.

Steve Johnson April 20, 2017

Thanks for quick reply. So there is no way to make the field description visually standout on my screens?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2017

Not really, no.

Nicolas_Dovran May 15, 2018

We're using panel to have a more visual description : 

{panel:title=Problem statement|titleBGColor=#444852|bgColor=#f5f5f5|titleColor=#FFFFFF|borderStyle=dashed|borderColor=#444852}
Your text goes here
{panel}
Like # people like this
dharper June 19, 2018

Hi @Nicolas_Dovran, do you have a screenshot of that in action? 

Nicolas_Dovran June 20, 2018

@dharper here it is :)screenshot.png

Like # people like this
dharper June 20, 2018

@Nicolas_Dovran brilliant! Thank you.

Mark Hostetler February 1, 2021

I had no idea this existed, thank you!

0 votes
Daniel September 5, 2019

@Nicolas_Dovran , unfortunately, this does not work here. See screenshot.  Jira Server v7.11.1. Should this work out of the box, without an add-on?
(Sorry, for some reason replying within the comment thread above did not work. "Reply" button was not clickable.)

formatting description edit.PNGformatting description.PNG

Nicolas_Dovran September 5, 2019

It's useable only in tickets' creation form. Not in custom field creation form

It's in the "Description" system field.

Daniel September 5, 2019

Ah, too bad. I need formatting in the Custom Fields descriptions. :/

Amit Girme September 25, 2019

Hi @Daniel,

Try to follow these steps:

- Open the associated field configuration

- Check for the field for which you want to have a custom message

- Click *Edit* and put something similar to below to the description of that field

<span style="color:#0747a6">THE CUSTOM MESSAGE</span>

- Click update

This shall work for most of the fields except the user picker as far as I know.

Feel free to let me know if it works or if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

-Amit

Like Daniel Beahan likes this
Daniel Beahan November 27, 2019

Thanks @Amit Girme That worked for me.  Using a Field Configuration also allows you to provide customised descriptions for System fields such as Due Date.

Daniel November 28, 2019

Thanks @Amit Girme Sorry for the late reply. For some reason I seem to have missed the notification about your interesting reply!
Your approach only works with certain field types.

I did a short test. it works with

• Text field (single line)
  • Text Field (multi-line)
  • Checkboxes
  • Select List (Single Choice)
  • Select List (multiple choices)

It does not work with:

• Select List (Single Choice) (strange: In some cases of such field type this worked, in some it didn't.)
  • Multiple Issue Link Picker (this type comes from an add-on)

I don't have more custom field types to test with currently.

Strange: In the "Edit" dialog for all/some(?) custom field types, under the description field there is written "You can include HTML, make sure to close all your tags."

But why, if it doesn't work? :D

It seems, that where your approach works, also <a href...> HTML tags work, so links to documentation pages for using a field can be included. Too bad, I need such a link for the "Multiple Isse Link Picker" type, but just there it doesn't work.

Daniel

0 votes
Daniel August 30, 2019

@Nicolas_Dovran , Panel looks interesting. How to get that into Jira custom field descriptions? I don't know anything about Panel yet. Googleing showed me that it seems to be an add-on for Confluence, so I can nicely format text on Confluence pages?..

Nicolas_Dovran September 4, 2019
Daniel September 5, 2019

Suggest an answer