Get all Issues without linked issue

nmathias August 24, 2017

Is it possible to get a list with all issues without a linked issue inside? 

Im using a separate project for all my software-requirments and ideas. Each issue in this project produces additional EPICs inside my other softwareprojects, so each idea causes an related epic.

Now i want to make sure, that every incoming idea has a related EPIC.

Thanks, Nils

6 answers

2 accepted

40 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Lowe May 7, 2020

Jira (Cloud) now supports this via:

project = xxx AND issueLinkType is EMPTY

Ravi Chivukula September 17, 2020

Just perfect.. I was able to get he list of all issues which had no links.. thanks Daniel!

Like # people like this
Daniel Lowe September 17, 2020

No worries @Ravi Chivukula

Please upvote my answer 😁

Like # people like this
Ravi Chivukula September 17, 2020

Just did @Daniel Lowe !

Chrisjir Parkin October 8, 2020

I like this answer.  What release of Jira supports this?  I tried a JQL query with this phrase and it failed.

Daniel Lowe October 8, 2020

@Chrisjir Parkin Jira Cloud supports it, I'm unsure which if any version of Server does sorry.

BJHUDY October 5, 2022

This worked perfectly, thank you! 

Anette Unger October 7, 2022

my message: The operator 'is' is not supported by the 'issueLinkType' field.

Like # people like this
Farzin Karthik February 13, 2023

Tried this

project = "xyz" AND IssueType= Story AND status in ("Ready for UAT","Done","Closed") AND Sprint in ("Sprint 1", "Sprint 2", "Sprint 3") AND issueLinkType != "Test" AND labels != NotRequired

It still brings up all the stories which has a Zephyr Test linked to it.

Daniel Lowe May 15, 2023

@Farzin Karthik I imagine that's because Zephyr Tests are treated differently to standard Jira issues.

3 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2017

If by *linked issue* you mean no related Epic then you can use the JQL

project = X and "Epic Link" is empty

Here project X can be your project having ideas

nmathias August 24, 2017

Thanks Tarun for your quick answer. In my case I'm looking for a solution for this:

project = X and linkedIssue is EMPTY 
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2017

As of now, JIRA by default doesn't support it. But if you have script runner plugin installed then you can do it via the following JQL

project = X and issueFunction not in hasLinks()
Like # people like this
Fabian Bruselat September 13, 2017

Do I have to restart something? I installed the trial of ScriptRunner, did the JQL you suggested and get 

Field 'issueFunction' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.

Running Jira Cloud. Is this restricted to Jira Server?

Fabian Bruselat September 13, 2017

NVM. found out that it's not working in Jira Cloud. Any idea how I can achieve this in Jira Cloud?

1 vote
remi.dc August 6, 2021

With script runner on JIRA cloud there JQL Keywords feature.

You have to synchronise issues and then you can use in advanced JQL the keyword :  numberOfLinks

project = PRJ AND issuetype = Type AND numberOfLinks = 0

See doc : https://docs.adaptavist.com/sr4jc/current/scriptrunner-jql-keywords-functions/jql-keyword-examples#id-.JQLKeywordExamplesvCurrent-numberOfLinks

1 vote
Tom Clement March 26, 2020

I had the same problem.  I didn't exactly solve it (don't have script runner) but I needed to find all issues without a linked issue. For my purposes with a limited number of issues to filter against, I was able to add the linkedIssue column to the filter.  Then it was relatively easy to scan through the results looking for ones without an IssueID in that column.  

FYI, the use case here is that there is a project that professional services folks enter issues into.  They are vetted there, and all the issues are maintained for tracking.  When we decide to take action on one of those issues, it's assigned to a developer. We then create Product Development issue in another project and link them.  I needed to find all issue assigned to me that didn't have something linked yet.

Daniel Lowe May 7, 2020

@Tom Clement project = xxx AND issueLinkType is EMPTY AND assignee = currentUser()

Like # people like this
Tom Clement May 7, 2020

Thanks Daniel!

Like Daniel Lowe likes this
1 vote
mukul November 13, 2018

We can get the list of non-linked issues via CSV download

In the "Search issues" page, in the "Columns" drop-down, select "Linked Issues" option. Now download a CSV with only current fields.
In the downloaded file, use filters and select the "Blanks" option in all the columns of "Outward issue link".

0 votes
Michelle Werry December 21, 2020

I'm trying to write a query that is 

Project = XXX and issuetype = EPIC and LinkedIssue is not a specific Issue key but I only get the ~ or ~! as options for the LinkedIssue.  I was hoping for a not in selection.  

Any ideas?

Daniela Buffarini January 11, 2021

try with 

project = XXX AND issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("type =Epic") 

if you have ScriptRunner (JSU)

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer