Generate JIRA Service Desk ticket from Exchange/Office365 "Shared Mailbox"

Hi there. New to JIRA and starting the process of setup and putting it through its paces. I'll describe a few variables first to help fill in the context:

• We're a college library environment.
  • We've dabbled with JIRA, Freshdesk, Zendesk, and Happy Fox. We're leaning towards JIRA (service desk, confluence, and software) for our needs. 
  • I want a "ticketing system" that will mostly be used behind the scenes for all our IT/Software development folk. JIRA more than meets these needs. So no worries there.
  • A HUGE requirement I need is the ability for any user to be able to submit a "ticket" to us via email. I don't want them to necessarily have to log in and establish some form of account in order to submit anything. Example: I have a student that has an issue. The email our support email address and that generates a ticket in JIRA. I'm running into trouble with this one.
  • I'm skimming: https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/receiving-requests-by-email-747602718.html and also https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/quickstart-guide-for-service-desk-email-support-732528953.html for slow guidance. I'm also aware of the Request Security settings, but not sure how much this part plays a role.

So here is my biggest challenge I'm running into. When I'm under | Administration | System | Incoming Email | attempting to test JIRA Service Desk to connect to my Exchange/Office365 data: our email account is a  Shared Mailbox in Exchange. This can be tricky for those that don't work in Exchange. This isn't a single user account mailbox and multiple people all access it with the same username/password. It is basically an account that can be accessed by multiple people and does not have a password associated with it. It's accessed based on permissions.

To better understand (in case you need reference): https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150498(v=exchg.150).aspx

Sooooooooooooo, I'm wondering if my failing with JIRA to access this Shared Mailbox is because the variables I can manipulate in Incoming Mail are for standard (normal) type mailboxes. Meaning single user, single username/password type setups. I can't even chose to not have a password in these settings.

Sorry about the TL;DR post. Just trying to be thorough. I'm open to any guidance/reading/links to resolve my challenges.

I'm wondering if in order to make this work I will need to convert my Shared Mailbox back to a Single User style Exchange/Office365 account.

Thanks!

2 answers

For your JIRA inbox, you shouldn't be using a shared mailbox. You should have a mailbox dedicated to JIRA.

This is what we do here (We use the JEMH plugin to handle our incoming emails because we have more specific needs, but that applies to a Service Desk mail handler too)

1. We have a mailbox called jira@[company].com. It has a login/password.
  2. We set up a mail server from that mailbox in JIRA's Administration / System / Incoming Emails.
  3. We created a handler to map emails received in that mailbox to a specific JIRA project depending on a catched email destination (we use a different distribution list for each customer company, but the emails all end up in the same JIRA mailbox)

In your situation, maybe you would like a forward of these email tickets to your shared mailbox, but I rather think it's unnecessary. Better to rely on JIRA's notifications when the tickets are created to avoid duplicates.

Realise this thread is over a year old but just in case anyone else finds themselves here whilst looking for a way to connect to shared mailboxes.

We used to do it the way that Nicholas did, multiple distributions groups to a single standard mailbox and then handlers to process each email address and route the ticket to the appropriate service desk project. We've now switched so we have a single licensed Office 365 account for outbound and individual shared mailboxes per project / service desk which allows us to use the service desk handler as recommended.

Set up is as follows

1. Standard licensed mailbox with login and password that is used as the outbound mail server in the global mail settings (jira@[company].com)
  2. Each service desk has its own shared mailbox without a username and password. The jira@[company].com account is granted Full Access and Send As rights to each shared mailbox.
  3. When configuring the Email request section of the service desk settings set the email address to the address for the shared mailbox.
  4. In the username box set it as jira@[company].com\<Shared Mailbox Alias>
  5. Password is the password for the jira@[company].com mailbox.

That should allow you to download mail from your shared mailbox using the service desk handler. It also means that we only pay for one Office 365 account as the shared mailboxes are free so we can set up as may of these as we need without additional subscription costs.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,950 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot