Gantt with Jira - Why Jira task does not update due date after dragging gantt bar in Auto-scheduling

Daniel May 3, 2022

Hi, I'm managing a big project where, time to time, I have to update a bunch of dependent tasks, and the easier way to do is with Auto-scheduling. But I would like that Due Date of all the related Jira tasks could be automatically updated. I know that in Manual Schedule it works fine, but why in Auto-schedule doesn't? Thanks in advance.  

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
David Niro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2022

Hello @Daniel ,

David from ALM Works here.  Welcome to the Community!

What you are trying to accomplish can be done through the Attribute to Issue Field Effector.  This way you can take the Gantt End Date attribute and push it to your Jira due dates.

To answer your question (and plagiarize our wiki content šŸ˜ ):

By default, tasks are automatically scheduled based on their predecessors (dependencies), sprint or the project start date (if there are no dependencies). Manual scheduling allows users to explicitly specify task and milestone positions on the timeline.

Once you have explicitly specified the position (due date in your case) it is going to remain tied to this value.  Meaning if you update the value in Gantt, the corresponding Jira field and vice versa. 

When using automatic scheduling, the Gantt values are stored locally.  This allows for planning sessions that do not impact the current schedule according to your Jira dates until you decide it should impact them.

This is where the Effector comes in.  Once you have adjusted your Gantt chart and decide it is the new "truth", you can run the Effector to map the Gantt End dates to the Due Date field.

Let me know if this helps!

Best,
David

Daniel May 3, 2022

Yes, it works and made my life easier :)

Thank you very much!

Like ā€¢ # people like this
0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2022

Welcome to the community, @Daniel!

What are you using to create your Gantt charts?  There are a number of Atlassian Marketplace apps for creating Gantt charts in Jira.

Once we know which Gantt app you are using, it will be easier for us to help you.

Thanks,

-dave

Daniel May 3, 2022

Hi, thanks for the fast reply. I'm using Structure.Gantt - Gantt Charts & Roadmaps for Jira

Like ā€¢ Dave Rosenlund likes this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2022

Great!  I'm going to nudge the right/best people that can help you to have a look at your post. I also updated the tags on your post to make it clearer.  :)

Best,

-dave

Suggest an answer